Are we on the Brink?

PSYCHOcatholic

I know very little about politics but there must be a way to get rid of all those insane fanatics who are ready to die for their god, to kill all those who don´t believe in their god and to make a hero out of a 16 years old kid wearing a bomb stuck to his body in a disco, train, market or whatever. I can´t understand how a mother can be proud of her teenage kid who will die to kill plenty of people, people like you and me who just want to live in peace.

All those islamists-terrorists must probably ignore that they live in dictatorships and their wealthy leaders don´t give a s*** for their opressed people´s lives.

Unfortunately, the person who was best able to express how the world should be was shot by a lunatic.

Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will live as one

Diggs makes some good points. American foreign policy has often been ill-conceived, inconsistent and heavy handed. However, I think it is simplistic to suggest that the rise of Islamic fundamentalism is largely the result of American and British foreign policy. The Islamic fundamentalists, fanatics, terrorists, call them what you will, are angry, hateful people. They believe that anyone who doesn't share their narrow-minded, intolerant and rigid beliefs is an enemy who deserves to be killed. Just look at what they have done in the Sudan, India and the Philippines. Western foreign policy has merely provided a new target for their rage and xenophobia. They hate what we have achieved and our entire way of life. They will do anything to undermine that way of life.

Unfortunately, these radical beliefs cannot flourish in a vacuum. Many Muslim communities have tacitly or, through indifference, allowed this cancer to grow in their midst. Western governments have failed miserably to engage the vast majority of moderate Muslims and seek their help in stamping out religious extremism.

Western governments must try to work cooperatively with the more liberal Muslim states to stamp out terrorism. Heavy handed, big brother diplomacy will only foster more intolerance and exacerbate the problem.

And for those who think that only the United States and Britain have much to fear from terrorists, I believe the attacks in Bali, Madrid and Egypt have demontrated the naivete of that notion.

Its not just as a result of the existence of the US and Britain that the situation exists. I hope I didn't infer that. A large reason for it all however is that much of the 'western' influence so despised by the terrorists and their masters flow from the English speaking world...