Are we on the Brink?

PSYCHOcatholic

Of World War 3?

Well...if we are can we start forming alliances here in Songfacts, you guys are my buddies...nothing should come between us.

Seriously speaking though, right now the UK is in Critical Threat Level...

The United States is now on Status Level Red...the highest of course.

This is dangerous, and its getting kind of scary.

Supposedly the US and UK have been working together undercover to take control of a terroist groups plot to take over planes heading towards the United States from Great Britain. I will say, the national guard will probably be called up very soon.

Please everybody be safe, for our fellow friends in the UK Diggs i know, and others that slip my mind right now. Please watch your back, Attention to Detail!

I Love You All! Your in my Prayers

well it's another thing if it's your profession

but I don't really care for people (or understand them for that matter) who have guns "just for fun" or something... :P

you might see things different from me... that might be because of our different historical background...

Strewth Marc! The roadsigns must be pretty peppered in your neck of the woods... Isn't that a little extreme?

Thanks for the thought Psyco. Us Brits are a stoic bunch however, and it is the inconvenience of late flights rather than the thought of being blown up that gets us. Remember, we have been bombed consistently for decades by some nutter or other. This one is a bit different though and unfortunately symptomatic of the political position our Government has chosen to adopt in relation to Mr Bush & his master's crusade against Islam...

Talk to local Pakistani lads about it and they are genuinely afraid... they don't like the US or our Government's position up Bush's chuff, but afraid nontheless...

I fear we have not seen the end of this, and probably never will...

This one is a bit different though and unfortunately symptomatic of the political position our Government has chosen to adopt in relation to Mr Bush & his master's crusade against Islam...

I think the terrorists would be against England even if they hadn't allied with us ugly Americans. They don't like the free world, and as far as I can see, that includes England. Obviously the alliance with America doesn't help your position, but I don't believe that the extremists would just completely ignore England as long as England ignores them. They're not rattlesnakes, they're insane.

Not snakes its true, but you don't see them attacking Belgium or Mongolia... Their beef is with 'the great Satan' as opposed to secular democracies in general because they are taught that the US and it's interests are rightly or wrongly diametrically opposed to their's. These 'interests' include support for Israel, global economic expansion, control of the world's oil resources, unfettered decadence through film and television etc etc... in other words everything Islam teaches them is wrong in the world. What makes it worse and makes the US a target is arrogance on the part of it's Government and the view that only the American way of life is good and true, expressed all too often by aggressive foreign policy both military and financial.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a supporter of terrorism in any way, shape or form, its just that the blindness to the underlying reasons demonstrated by the US and us in Britain can only serve to perpetuate the anger and madness of those involved. You'd have to really hate something to blow yourself up after all... and the sooner the US and Britain wakes up to the fact that our tiny planet is to share the better... Trouble is, we are so locked into our way of thinking now that neither side can see above the parapet.

Feel free to chastise me for being a traitor or whatever you want. I want a world where my kids can walk down the street in peace, not in fear of covert civil war which is unfortunately where we may be heading in this country.

Amen, Shalom and Allah be with you...

Regards

:bow:

Unfortunately , though , fundamentalism ( of any sort ) , by it's very nature , tends to suggest that you will not be able to convince people otherwise and to step back from their ' truths ' if they choose an extreme stance - regardless of what you do . Placate them and they'll push for more , seeing ' victory ' as possible , and /or , perhaps, accuse you of attempting to deceive them and redouble thier efforts . It's either total triumph or annihilation for these folks , and they are content with that .

A small hope is the chance that some ( enough ) will see for themselves the lack of alternative options in their beliefs as too illogical , unliveable , impossible or simply wrong and inevitably cruel and try to moderate their goals . What is problematic here , though , is that when 'God' enters the equation , nothing is supposed to be impossible for the 'true believers' of most creeds, is it ? Certainly , some of the actions you mentioned , though , may help that along . Recognition that eternal , unrestrained economic growth as a policy , goal , solution for all , or as a campaign promise is an utter fallacy and , infact , an act of supreme hubris , is one that even the G8 and their respective electorates will have to come to terms with . It appears that the planet is likely to give up on us before we do if it continues unchecked .

The inherent weakness of any true democracy is that , in order for them to exist , they have to abide with , and permit to some extent the very existance of the forces that would destroy them . There is a bit of utopianistic idealism about them . That is why , in the history of mankind , they have been few and far between . Non-democratic governments and their citizenry often quietly chuckle at , exploit , and probe at this weakness in democratic states , knowing full well ( except for the educated or enlightened ) that they would never want to live with such vulnerability and perceived decadence at home ( eventhough this is exactly what keeps them from moving onward ) . Such is history , so far , anyway . The challenge then , as I see it , is not to loose our cool militarily , internally or otherwise , embrace moderation and democratic values - despite what they do - and hopefully through this, at the very least , earn a grudging respect and a ceasefire . Afterall , this is a fight between nations and factions , rather than nation and nation ( though some are backed up by nations ) , and any hopes of 'shock and awe' are minimal at best . Mankind , however , has an interesting ability to 'warm' to their enemies after a scrap - ask any schoolboy or soldier who's had a fight . As Diggs suggested with mention of a covert civil war , I would hate to loose in the effort to defend ourselves the very thing we were trying to protect in the first place . My biggest fear is not being defeated by ' them' but by ourselves , by letting our own fears allow our 'fundamentalists ' to walk away with the prize . :crazy: :(