Indie Music!!!!

scott

I was wondering if anybody else on the s-facts boards is as into indie as I am right now.

I've just recently fallen in love with the wonderful sounds of great indie music. I mean I've always loved Sonic Youth and their fellow post-punkers, and then I picked up 'crooked rain crooked rain' by Pavement, which caused me to get hooked on indie stuff.

God it's great.

Actually, Indie is different than alternative. trust me. You see back in the early 90s 'indie' was in fact a recognizable form of music, most accurately defined by pavement. It's a combination of post-punk/noise/punk, Basically the sound is unrefined, yet has a strong sense of melody, lyrics are generally obscure/absurd.

well, it's not different than alternative... it's a form of alternative. Like Nirvana was alternative... but definately not indie, follow?

Now indie can describe a bands sound, but then the other definition has to deal with the type of label, generally a record label not associated with capital, warner, etc. is considered 'indie'

it's very confusing.

But then there's thurston moore's 'ecstatic peace' label, which is associated with a major label (I'm pretty sure it's warner, but don't hold me to it) technically disqualifying it from being a 'indie' label, but even moore will say that they sign 'indie' bands. And if you check out the bands on the label, there is definately a distinct sound.

an 'indie' sound.

the genre that I love

this is wikipedia's definition of indie

The term "indie" is often used to mean a sound that a musician presents, but when interpreted more literally, it is the way that sound is presented or made. "Indie" often refers to an artist or band that is not part of the mainstream culture and/or is making music outside its influence. Though the sound of these bands may differ greatly, the "indie" definition comes from the do-it-yourself attitude and ability to work outside large corporations. Although the term "indie" has somewhat come to describe any non-mainstream rock band.

[edit]

in fact read the whole article, it's quite educational

although never been a fan of pavement, or sonic youth really, i think i like several bands that can be considered indie under the afore mentioned definition. the article also includes the new wave revival bands like franz ferdinand and the killers

Good indie:

c830693p82h.jpg

Anyways, to me, the indie "sound" doesn't exist. Being unsigned or on an indie label sometimes allows more artistic freedom, but Modest Mouse has shown that's not the case. With "Good News for People who love Bad News" they kept the sound they have had for years, but the album was not indie, because they signed with Warner Brothers. Same goes for Built to Spill and their new album "You In Reverse" (which is excellent, by the way).

Anyways, a band can be indie and alternative. One example is...Pavement. A band can be indie and not alternative. An example is...any unsigned heavy metal band, or underground hip hop artist. A band can be not indie and alternative. An example is...Nirvana.

I guess the best way to put it is this: indie is a genre in the same way classic rock is a genre. The definition of classic rock is rock n roll made in the late 50's, 60's, or mid 70's (some draw the line at 80's). The definition of classic rock doesn't mention much about what kind of rock it is, but it's kind of become it's own genre. For instance, Led Zeppellin, the Who, and the Rolling Stones have a "classic rock sound," while The Stooges and the MC5 don't have a "classic rock sound," even though it meets the criteria of classic rock.

Now to switch the wording:

The definition of indie is music made by a band that is not signed to a major label. The definition of indie doesn't mention anything about what kind of music it is, but it's kind of become it's own genre. For instance, Bright Eyes, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and Interpol have an "indie sound," while Death From Above 1979 doesn't have an "indie sound" even though it meets the criteria of indie.

I'd like to ramble on....but I won't.

Indie has become probably the most popular 'genre' in music today, at least around where I live. I think most indie bands can also fall into other genres as well. Ther is basically no indie played on the radio, but almost everyone seems to have heard it. The definition of indie to me is rock that I can enjoy, that is being made recently or presently, and that isn't in the mainstream.

Tegan and Sara, Sufjan Stevens etc.

Top 5 indie albums ever (in my opinion)

1. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

2. Pixies - Doolittle

3. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

4. Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted

5. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Source Tags and Codes