Howdy, I'm goin' to college

scott

thanks Edna, it's gonna be awesome (and I'm gonna start posting again) Concordia has, like, the no. 5 college touring orchestra in the world... so I'm pretty pumped to be in that, and this spring we go on a two week tour to the west, so I'll be in Seattle, CA, British Columbia... it'll be sweet

Good luck, dude. My brothers are headed to (the same) college in a couple days. Of course, one's on the second floor and another's on the third, so that's gonna be a lot of fun moving them in. I hope you won't have to lug all your stuff up several flights of stairs.

I'm gonna be in the house all alone. Maybe people on the Internet will comfort me. :P

Well my IOC (instrument of choice :) ) is the violin, but I play a few other instruments to some proficiency, most stringed instruments, I'm a decent guitarist, but then to get the music degree that I'm going for I have to have a 'proficient' level in basically every instrument ever... it'll be fun

I'm about 3/4 Irish, so of course I'm familiar with playing a gigue or two :)

Not really my cup o' tea, but it sure is fun every now and then.

:) Gigue? Do you mean jig? I've been playing Irish music for 6 years, and listening to it all my life, and have never seen it spelled that way.

Are you a classical musician? How long have you been playing? I started with classical violin, but I hated how structured it is, and folk music dragged me in.

Gigue is the more 'musical' way to spell it I guess..

But yeah I guess you could say I'm classically trained, I've been playing since I was 3 or 4,

and yeah the 'classics' are strictly structured.. but when you get into advanced stuff, there's more and more room for expressionism, especially with pieces from the last 250 years or so, like right now I'm working on this AMAZING concerto, called the Baal shem, and it's based on Jewish folk music, and there are these amazing passages.

Then there's the dark and heavy stuff... Bartok especially, I love that