The Top 50 Movie Endings of All Time

Farin

I've seen Chinatown a dozen times, and while it's a great movie, two specific things about it stick in my mind: Jack Nicholson's bandaged nose and the final line of dialogue. Acting, directing, a great script… these are essential to any film. But a classic ending, now that can really make a movie.

We spent literally months brainstorming and corralling the 50 films with the absolute best endings we've ever seen. We're not talking about the last half hour. We mean the last minute of movie. You know, the ending.

Needless to say you can consider this entire article one monster SPOILER ALERT. Most of the films here are classics that you've probably seen several times over. But if not, skip past the ones you haven't seen and put 'em in your rental queue, otherwise you're going to ruin a whole lot of good films. Check out the flicks and we promise you won't be disappointed when the credits roll. As always, apologies in advance for the ones we stupidly forgot (and we know you'll be writing to let us know -- yes, Jaws, The Sixth Sense, Seven, Carrie, we're sorry!).

- Christopher Null, Editor-in-Chief

What so you think? Can you think of any more? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to see A History Of Violence in there. That is David Cronenberg's weakest film (and I'm including Fast Company). The critic probably never got around to seeing Videodrome, eXistenZ, and Spider... or even Cronenberg's early movies such as Shivers and Rabid (or even Scanners - that was a classic explosive ending!).