The Top 50 Albums of Our Time

Farin

We're tired of "Best Ever" album lists that ignore everything we've ever heard in favor of some obscure record from a neo-jazz futurist who played the zither back in the '60s. Hey, here's a news flash: There actually WAS good music recorded after 1990. Great music, in fact. Like, um, maybe...ALL OF RAP. Sheesh.

Here at UGO, we're celebrating revisionist thinking and the now (or, near-now) and listing the Top 50 Albums of Our Time. See where your favorites stand and prepare to debate as we count 'em down.

there are a lot of albums, besides Rap, but all from past 1990...

I think it would be interesting to hear your comments/thoughts about it... :)

In my opinion...

In The Aeroplane Over the Sea should be a lot higher

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below should be replaced by Stankonia

Siamese Dream should be replaced by Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

The Chronic definitely should not be higher than It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back

The Holy Bible should be somewhere on the list

Doolittle should be somewhere on the list

Disintegration should be somewhere on the list

Daydream Nation should be somewhere on the list

Endtroducing... should be somewhere on the list

That's all for now

It's nice to see they included Rancid's 1995 album ...And Out Come the Wolves. One of my all-time favorite punk albums that is often overlooked on these lists.

The list would've been more complete with Dirt ~ Alice in Chains; Aenema ~ Tool; OK Computer ~ Radiohead; & a few others that didn't make it in. {IMO}

In my opinion...

Doolittle should be somewhere on the list

Daydream Nation should be somewhere on the list

Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation: fantastic album, released in 1988, so does not meet the "Albums Of Our Time" criteria.

Pixies' Doolittle: very good album, released in 1989, so does not meet...etc., etc.

P.S. However, "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back" by Public Enemy, another album I rate very highly, does make it into this chart, despite being released in 1988. :confused:

Edited by Guest
Addition of P.S.

My age is once again revealed by my lack of knowing many of these albums or artists. However, i will say the number one pick of Nirvana's "Nevermind" was very predictable. It may be the right pick, and I think it's pretty good, but I figured it had to be the top album.

Ditto. I expected to see it at number one. Predictable, but that was the biggest sound of the 90s.

Oh Ok farinu, thanks for pointing that out, I guess I must've overlooked it at #15 when scrolling down the list. There's a few albums from the 90's that I could think of that were well-deserving on that list, & a few on there, that I haven't heard of before.

I can relate to this selection much better than I usually do to "Top 50 Albums" lists. Plenty of my "top albums" in there: Ill Communication, It Takes A Nation Of Millions..., Odelay, Nevermind, as well as SuperUnknown which i've only got into more recently.

Mind you, it's pretty Americo-centric: it's interesting (to me) to see how small is the impact of music from the UK (and elsewhere) on US tastes past and present.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest Pulp's "Different Class" as an outstanding album of the 90s, also PJ Harvey's "To Bring You My Love". More recently there have been Franz Ferdinand's debut and The Arctic Monkeys "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not", Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus".

Also: shouldn't The Butthole Surfers be represented here? "Electric Larryland" maybe? :P

Bush. Funnily enough, even though they're British hardly anybody over here likes Bush . They're relatively unheard of. More often than not, they were treated as a bit of a joke.

Personally, I thought they were OK. "Everything Zen" is a cracking track. And they had sufficiently good taste to get Steve Albini in to produce them.

Some weird choices there.

Pulp Fiction soundtrack over Singles?

Midnight Marauders over The Low End Theory?

Tom Joad over The Rising?

Illmatic? Grace? Ready To Die? Crooked Rain? Bee Thousand? Did they forget '94 happened?

Some others: Dirt, Elliott Smith, Time Out Of Mind, The Moon & Antarctica, Steady Diet of Nothing, Funeral, Exile In Guyville, Angel Dust, Loveless, and so on.