Stop and Listen

TheLizard

When I was first getting into rock and roll, there were plenty of times when I would hear a song for the first time, and it was so great I would immediately stop what I was doing and just listen. Has this happened to anyone else? What songs did this for you?

Here's some examples for me:

"Stairway to Heaven"- Led Zeppelin

"Wish You Were Here"- Pink Floyd

"Blowin' in the Wind"- Bob Dylan

"Sympathy for the Devil"- The Rolling Stones

Sometimes I wish I could go back to that period of discovery, because even though I still love these songs, I've heard them so many times now, they don't make me stop and listen like they did.

Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush. :crazy:

Don't worry, I'm sufficiently embarassed, but the first time I heard this, I was sleeping at a mate's place and we sat on his bed and were talking, and it came on and I went "Shhh!!!" The song really gripped me...

There's been other songs too, some are

Lazy Sunday -- Small Faces

Naked Eye -- The Who

We Love You -- The Rolling Stones

High Flyin' Bird -- Jefferson Airplane

Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush. :crazy:

Don't worry, I'm sufficiently embarassed, but the first time I heard this, I was sleeping at a mate's place and we sat on his bed and were talking, and it came on and I went "Shhh!!!" The song really gripped me...

There's been other songs too, some are

Lazy Sunday -- Small Faces

Naked Eye -- The Who

We Love You -- The Rolling Stones

High Flyin' Bird -- Jefferson Airplane

I just saw the video for Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush (on the 24 hour MTV special). I prefer Pat Benatar's version, but kate's was unique.

"Firestarter" by The Prodigy.

Incidentally, I had no idea Pat Benatar had done a cover of Wuthering Heights :o (can't we get a bit more "horror" on this "shocked" smiley?) It's quite definitely Kate Bush's song.... I simply can't imagine anybody else performing it, it's so quintessentially Kate.

(The very notion of P*t B*n*t*r being more famed than Ms Bush (in some parts) for her version of Wuthering Heights leaves quite an unpleasant taste in the mouth...)

Incidentally, Mr The Seeker, sir. I'm not sure I understand your apologetic embarrassment at admitting that you found Kate / Wuthering Heights rivetting. It is a unique and remarkable song, and Kate Bush can lay a much more substantial claim to the "genius" tag so often carelessly bandied about.(Though I'm sure she'd be too modest to do so...)

Incidentally, Mr The Seeker, sir. I'm not sure I understand your apologetic embarrassment at admitting that you found Kate / Wuthering Heights rivetting. It is a unique and remarkable song, and Kate Bush can lay a much more substantial claim to the "genius" tag so often carelessly bandied about.(Though I'm sure she'd be too modest to do so...)

Well, Mr Fitter, I guess I never moved in the right circles, but Kate Bush isn't someone that I readily admit to like a lot...I could go on now about cool and uncool, but that wouldn't only be wrong and not what I mean, but it'd probably also earn me a condescending smirk from you.

If it's any reassurance, I didn't know either that Pat Benatar did a version of that song.

I had never heard the Kate Bush version of Wuthering Heights until I saw the video yesterday. I knew it was her song, but Kate Bush, in general, doesn't appeal to my musical tastes. Having heard her high pitched squealing and seen her extremely silly dancing (I seemed inspired by John Cleese)I'm still not a fan. However, it's such a good song, that I was compelled to watch and listen.

Pat Benatar stays pretty true to Kate, albeit several octaves lower, and the guitar work at the end is more traditional hard rock, which enhances the song for old rockers like me.

Check out the SongFacts page about this song for many fine facts about Kate Bush and Wuthering Heights.

Well, Mr Fitter, I guess I never moved in the right circles, but Kate Bush isn't someone that I readily admit to like a lot...I could go on now about cool and uncool, but that wouldn't only be wrong and not what I mean, but it'd probably also earn me a condescending smirk from you.

If it's any reassurance, I didn't know either that Pat Benatar did a version of that song.

Not quite sure what you're driving at, old bean. Why would I smirk at you condescendingly or otherwise? :confused:

I was merely pointing out that there is no shame in admitting to being captivated by Wuthering Heights (Bush version). Whether she is considered "cool" or not is of no import. I do not profess to being a big fan of hers: as a child of the punk rock generation, I'm no more likely to regard her as "cool" than you are. However, like her or not,she is undeniably an artist of considerable talent and creativity. If you happened to be bewitched by that song, there's no need to be coy about it.

People admit to liking far more uncool stuff than that round here. (Duran Duran, Kajagoogoo, Herman's Hermits, :smirk: )

Not quite sure what you're driving at, old bean. Why would I smirk at you condescendingly or otherwise? :confused: ....

...there's no need to be coy about it.

People admit to liking far more uncool stuff than that round here. (Duran Duran, Kajagoogoo, Herman's Hermits, :smirk: )

B******s. I let myself down a bit there, didn't I? ;)

There's that smirk!

No, as I said, saying she isn't cool isn't what I mean...and I like Herman's Hermits, Gilbert O'Sullivan and the Monkees, so it would be a bit weird if I was embarassed about Kate Bush not being cool enough.

The more I think about it, the less I know what I actually meant with my post. Thank you, fitter, for showing me my own shallowness. :P

Although I am supposed to have been working in the "avant-garde" and dark music scene, as well as "strange" stuff like Tuxedo Moon, Cabaret Voltaire, Soft Machine, Pierre Henry, etc., I love Herman´s Hermits, Duran Duran, The Tremeloes, The Bee Gees, ABBA, evn a couple of Tony Orlando & Dawn songs, and also "Mickey" by Toni Basil, and "Sugar Baby Love" by The Rubettes... and many many more uncool stuff...