I want my MTV (25 years ago today it all started)

Yes, no matter if you loved or hated MTV, or still do for that matter, you cannot argue that MTV became a music and television revolution.

If you get VH1 Classic, they are replaying the first full day of MTV all day today. It started with a lengthy space shuttle countdown and lifted off with "we've got rock and roll". You can all picture the blast off and the MTV music.

The first song was "Video Killed The Radio Star" followed by "You Better Run" by early MTV darling Pat Benatar. Rod Stewart was next followed by some group called PhD doing "Little Susie's On The Up" (Anybody know anything about them???)

I remember early MTV as something so unique, a place to see my rock stars 24/7...and yeah, it's changed.

When I got my first VCR in the 80's I tested it on MTV and taped J. Geil's "Centerfold". They ran every episode of the Monkees continuously one weekend. It was a nice place for rock and roll.

Dire Straits immortalized it in "Money For Nothing". It is an institution.

I don't watch it anymore, the programming just isn't for me, but I remember the old days of MTV fondly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found this interesting list:

The first MTV hour in order

1. Video Killed the Radio Star -- the Buggles

2. You better Run -- Pat Benetar

3. She Won't Dance -- Rod Stewart *

4. You Better you Bet--- The Who

5. Little Susie's on the up -- Ph. D **

6. We dont Talk Anymore -- Cliff Richard

7. Brass in Pocket -- The Pretenders

8. Time Heals -- Todd Rudgren *

9. Take it on the Run -- REO Speedwagon

10. Rockin the Paradise -- Styx

11. When Things Go Wrong -- Robin Lane and the Chartbusters

12. History Never Repeats Split Enz

13. Hold on Loosely -- .38 Special

I'll watch some more later tonight. Of course, with the temps over 100, the power will go and I'll see nothing.

If that happens, rest assured, I'll be strummin' an acoustic on the front porch, singin' blues classics, and drinking that unopened bottle of Tequila that's sitting on the piano. (and sweating alot)

Now it's Rapture by Blondie. I've seen multiples from Rod, Pat, REO, Styx, the Pretenders, Robert Palmer, .38 Special, and Cliff Richard. I've also seen the occasional out of place oddity such as Lee Ritenour's "Is It You?"

I've typed for so long that now it's "Once in a Lifetime" by the Talking Heads. I'm in adolescent heaven.

Holy crap, I just saw another Lee Ritenour video. I didn't even know he had 2 songs. The people behind MTV had a lot of balls to start a channel with such a limited bank of videos. More power to them. Speaking of balls, I've seen more of Kevin Cronin's sack than I ever needed to. Can I say sack? Someone moderate me, please. I've gone over the edge.

I was watching "You Better You Bet" by the Who at 2:17. It is now 5:32 and I am watching it again. Perhaps my day of excitement is now officially over, yet I can't seem to turn this off. But I swear if I see another REO Speedwagon video/Kevin Cronin crotch shot, I'm going to kill someone. Since this is a certain inevitability, it's been nice knowing you fine people. Please write to me in prison.