John Grisham

Mike

Hey Floyd....I disagree with you regarding The Firm being well adapted to film. When I read The Firm many years ago I could not put the book down. It took me a day and a half to read. I couldn't wait to see the movie.

Once the movie did arrive all I can say is what a letdown! The movie in it's own right was good but was completely different from the book. Hmmmmm.....I would say the last 150 pages or so of the book was rewritten for the film adaptation which included a completely different climax to the film including the chase.

Grisham is a great author. I have read six or seven of his books and each one kept me interested. I would consider him one of the great writers of our time along with King and Ludlum.

He recently wrote Bleachers, which is my favorite book probably of his. It had nothing to do with law or anything like that.

The story centers on the impending death of the Messina Spartans' football coach Eddie Rake. One of the most victorious coaches in high school football history, Rake is a man both loved and feared by his players and by a town that relishes his 13 state titles. The hero of the novel is Neely Crenshaw, a former Rake All-American whose NFL prospects ended abruptly after a cheap shot to the knees. Neely has returned home for the first time in years to join a nightly vigil for Rake at the Messina stadium. Having wandered through life with little focus since his college days, he struggles to reconcile his conflicted feelings towards his former coach, and he assays to rekindle love in the ex-girlfriend he abandoned long ago. For Messina and for Neely, the homecoming offers the prospect of building a life after Rake.

This book really has an impact for anyone who had a "Coach Rake" in there life. There will be parts to make you cry, some laughing. But, overall, this is a good break from law with Johnny. A Painted House was good, but i admit this is better.

I like all the books I've read by him. He also does a good job writing women, which some authors don't. I agree about the ending of the Firm being changed for the movie. It was an interesting way to do the ending but totally different from the book. The Client was my favorite by him.

If you like Robert Ludlum you might also enjoy

Len Deighton

John LeCarre

Ken Follett

Nelson DeMille

Kind of like how Amazon.com says "Customers who bought this book also bought", trying to get you to buy more books.