The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 24

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoo Hoo!!! My second #1. I'm, I'm just soooooo excited. I'd like to thank the Academy, my parents, my dog Shep, Monty Python, William Shatner......

I must admit that I'm as surprised as anyone that Big Yellow Taxi did as well as it did. I love the song, but it is not quite my favourite Joni Mitchell song. I like Raised On Robbery, Free Man In Paris and Both Sides Now just a little more.

As for the song Woodstock, I like the version by Matthews Southern Comfort a little more than Joni's version and a lot more than CSNY's rendition. The MSC version was a huge hit in Canada back in 1971, but I don't think it made it into the US top 40. Normally, I'm not a big fan of steel guitar, but Ian Matthews uses it to great effect in Woodstock giving it an ethereal, haunting quality.

I'm really pleased that Summer Breeze made it to #2. It's one of my favourite songs by my second favourite vocal duo. I nominated Diamond Girl in Top 10 3 or 4 and it absolutely tanked. I have some other Seals & Crofts songs that I will nominate for upcoming Top Tens.

Prince once said that Joni Mitchell was his favorite Songwriter.

If she hadn't written any other song in her life, she surely earnt her place in music history with the beautiful Both Sides Now (Clouds).

I really don't know clouds at all.

I really don't know love at all.

I really don't know life at all.

:P

About the renominations and how they fared this time. The numbers at the end is the place they had in an earlier top list. Only three songs placed lower this time and four songs made it into the Top Ten after being renominated.

2. Summer Breeze – Seals & Crofts, 26

8. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses, 17

9. Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys, The – Traffic, 17

10. Into The Mystic - Van Morrison, 11

11. Just Like A Woman - Bob Dylan, 21

12. Purple Rain - Prince and The Revolution, 26

15. How Much I Feel – Ambrosia, 48

16. Champagne Supernova - Oasis, 31

20. I´ll Feel A Whole Lot Better - The Byrds, 29

22. Overjoyed - Stevie Wonder, 17

24. I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown, 36

25. Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, Mmm - Crash Test Dummies, 36

29. No Rain - Blind Melon, 16

55. Only The Strong Survive - Jerry Butler, 43

Thanks for that very interesting info Dappled. :thumbsup:

So four remominations made the Ten and two others were #11 and #12. I might have to try some of mine again.

Good on you Sweet Jane. Van the Man went one better this time. He's written some great songs. Have you heard Johnny Rivers' version of it ? You're a bit of a Supremes/Girl Groups fan too(like me). We've both nominated songs by The Supremes, but for some reason the 'Girl Groups' don't attract a lot of support here.

Get your thinking caps on for our SILVER Top Ten #25. :)

ALSO, CanAm wanted to nominate Somewhere Over The Rainbow / Judy Garland. It didn't fall within the rules because it was recorded pre 1950, BUT I've found that Judy did record a live version of it in 1961. So Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Live) - Judy Garland is fine if you want to nominate it sometime CanAm !

:headphones:

I've opened a NEW THREAD for Top Ten #25.

NOMINATE THERE whenever you're ready, please !

:)

Just recapping

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

For the week ending Sunday 6th August 2006.

1. Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell (1970)

2. Summer Breeze - Seals and Crofts (1972)

3. Mr. Bojangles - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (1970)

4. Oh Girl - The Chi-Lites (1972)

5. Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin (1969)

6. Teach Your Children - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (1970)

7. Last Train To Clarksville - The Monkees (1966)

8. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns'N'Roses (1987)

9. Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys - Traffic (1971)

10.Into The Mystic - Van Morrison (1970)