Kate Rusby

Earth-Angel

kateharperjd6.jpg

A friend of mine, the happy-go-lucky scamp, recommended her to me - and I am glad he did as she has a fantastic voice! Underneath the Stars is a beautiful album, and her stuff with The Poozies is also really worth a listen or 6.

I really like 'The Blind Harper', but all her stuff is sweet and folky, and tambouriney. Lovely!

Kate Rusby was born into a family of musicians. After learning to play the guitar, the fiddle, and the piano, as well as to sing, she played in many local folk festivals as a child and adolescent, before joining (and becoming the lead vocalist of) the all-female Celtic folk band The Poozies. Her breakthrough album came in 1995. A collaboration with her friend and fellow Barnsley folk singer Kathryn Roberts was simply titled "Kate Rusby & Kathryn Roberts". In 1997, with the help of her family, she recorded and released her first solo album, Hourglass. Since then she has gone on to receive noted acclaim in her home country and abroad, and her family continues to help her with all aspects of her professional career as a musician.

The Scottish fiddler John McCusker (formerly of the Battlefield Band) produces Kate's recordings and plays in her band. Kate and John have been married since August 2001 and live in Yorkshire.

Kate was also a member of the folk group, The Equation, later to be replaced by Cara Dillon. In its early lineup, Equation also featured Kate's erstwhile performing partner Kathryn Roberts and Mercury-nominated artist Seth Lakeman. Their demo CD, In Session, had a small commercial release.

In 2006 she enjoyed a spell in the UK Top Ten singles chart with "All Over Again", a duet with Ronan Keating. The single reached a peak of number 6 in June 2006.

A short bio from Wiki.

Have a listen.