best male vocals ever...

bigmarty_34

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy, but I would have to say Roger Waters. He sings with such a precarious and disturbed sound (When he isn't doing that novelty voice like in Nobody Home).

Ole Roger it's not know for having a great voice, yet Wall has some of the most intense vocals ever in R&R.

This is too easy ::

1. Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music

2. David Sylvian of Japan

3. & 4. Martin L. Gore and David Gahan of Depeche Mode

5. David Bowie

6. Miguel Bose

7. Douglas P. of Death In June

8. Bernard Albrecht/Sumner of NewOrder

9. Leonard Cohen

10. Chris Isaak

Best male vocals ever Jeff Buckley his voice is something special. Listen to Corpus Christi Carol he sounds like an opera singer

I also like Freddy Mercury he was opera trained i believe

I think Buckley's voice is best on Halleluja and I love Freddie Mercury's voice, also Robert Plant and Paul Rogers and Elvis Presley - Roger Waters' voice I think is really haunting. Can't forget Thom Yorke, Maynard James Keenan and Layne Staley and Scott Weiland , oh and of course Kurt Cobaine. :headphones:

I am amazed nobody has mentioned Ian Gillan or Noddy Holder.

WHAT???????????

Noddy Holder? That's got to be a joke, right?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Otis Redding. And also, only one 'vote' each for Marvin Gaye and Al Green.

I think the problem is the usual confusion between 'the best' and 'favourite'. Even the 3 candidates I have mentioned assumes that we are talking about 'popular' music culture, and therefore excludes the likes of Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras?

For me, there is a distinction.

The 'best':

Otis

Marvin

The Reverend Al

My faves:

John Lennon

Paul McCartney

Thom Yorke

Kurt Cobain

David Bowie

Roy Orbison

Martin

==================================

Do what you want to do; go where you're going to...

I doubt he was. Those metal rockers always take credit for things they didn't do. Like the guy from ACDC, I think, who does that walk while he plays guitar. I always used to think he invented it, until my friend told me Chuck Berry used to do it.

He admits he didn't invent it, but Dio is responsible for popularizing it.

Being the old timer that I am, I've seen Cheap Trick back in the late 70's and again, in the early 90's, right when bassist Tom Petersson re-joined the band. I have to tell you, Cheap Trick is very underrated. The time I saw them in the 90's was in a place called the Stone Balloon, a club. I was on a first date with my future wife (I'm quite the romantic, aren't I?) Anyway, it was one of the funnest, enjoyable shows I've ever been to. The sound was great, the band really looked like they were having a good time, and it was the first time my wife kissed me. What a great night :D

He admits he didn't invent it, but Dio is responsible for popularizing it.

According to Dio, his grandma, who was Italian, used to do it all the time. It suposely protects against evil eye, or give evil eye. And yes, Dio has one of the most amazing voices. He sounds so evil, but if you see him live, you'll find out he is the nicest guy ever.

DIO RULES!!!!!!! :rockon: :rockon:

In terms of vocal ability, Brad Delp is clearly number one, he is ridiculous. try singing just about anything by boston, good luck, i would recommend ear plugs. Don Henley is number 2 because of his ability to control his voice and the blend of smooth singing and an urgent sounding texture you can only get from 20 years of smoking. listen to the hell freezes over album, this is his best work, last resort, hotel california, wasted time, and heart of the matter especially, oh and desperado of course. after that, steve perry, steve walsh, bono, paul mccartney, eric clapton, billy joel, robert plant(not a great technical voice and mostly falsetto but one of the coolest sounds out there), and bob seger(again a rough voice but great tones and great range) Roger daltry deserves mention as well, along with elton john, glenn frey, and the guy from bad company.

You've said almost all of the one's I have to say are the best, but here's my list with some of the same and a lot of my own.

Don Henley

Bono

Billy Joel

Geddy Lee

Steve Perry

Robin Zander

Phil Collins

Peter Gabrial

Niel Hannon (of Divine Comedy, an Irish chamber pop band, he has such a low and melodic voice)

Jon Bon Jovi

• 2 weeks later...

Honorable Mention goes out to Elton John, Rik Emmett, and Rik Ocasek.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

If I remember correctly, Rik Emmett sings for Triumph. Wow, he really gets up there, especially on Fight the Good Fight.

I've always enjoyed Okasik's unique vocals, as well. He sounds like he's sitting on a block of ice. I much prefer Benjamin Orr's (RIP) style, though. All Mixed up and Drive are beautiful songs.

Also, I've seen Steve Perry in here a couple of times. Man, that guy is effortless. His best work is Journey's Evolution.

Let's bow our heads and pay tribute to a few male leads from long ago.........

David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks....Temps.

Curtis Mayfield.

Levi Stubbs....The Four Tops.

Jimmy Beaumont....The Skyliners.

Pookie Hudson (Yes, I said Pookie)...The Spaniels.

Willie Winfield....The Harptones.

Ben E. King.....Drifters.

Tony Williams......The Platters

Jay Black of Jay and the Americans.

Frankie Valli....The Four Seasons.

And Hey...I like the guy from Five For Fighting, too.