best male vocals ever...

bigmarty_34

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Geoff Tate's high octave vocals; he can sing rock like no other, even though others complain that he ?whines? too much. His early day screaming on ?Queen of the Reich? to the more powerful technique he illustrates during the chorus on "Suite Sister Mary" is phenomenal. Also, the stunning soft-spoken ?Silent Lucidity? really puts an emphasis of prominence on their part. For a band that's been putting out albums for the past 21 years, he has kept his voice in line even to this day.

I'm not going nostalgic here for I've been playing the crap out of this CD for the last couple of weeks, and I can't stop it!!

The band is "Coheed and Cambria" and the singer ... Claudio Sanchez. Man, I can't get over how great his voice is. Want a description? Well, you'd almost think it was Geddy Lee at times but IMO... better. I'm sorry Geddy (I'm a fellow Canuck and I love 'Rush').

they sing the song a "favor house atlantic" right?

and yeah his voice definately reminds me of Geddy Lees...very high

Yep, that's the band ... and great tune!!

I've been playing their 2nd release (In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3) like I haven't heard music before. My 2 favs for now are -

Three Evils (Embodied In Love And Shadow)

The Velorium Camper I: Faint Of Hearts

There are some clips you can hear on the net but the sound quality is awful. But check them out anyway ...

20k (very low quality) song samples

Soundclips - Just click song title

Bono and Sting have good voices.

I also like David Gilmore's voice. I think he's the one who sings on "Us and Them", "Comfortably Numb", and "On the Turning Away". I'm sure I'm not thinking about Waters since he wasn't there for "Momentary Lapse of Reason". Let me know if I'm wrong about this.

I also like David Gilmore's voice. I think he's the one who sings on "Us and Them", "Comfortably Numb", and "On the Turning Away". I'm sure I'm not thinking about Waters since he wasn't there for "Momentary Lapse of Reason". Let me know if I'm wrong about this.

2 1/2 out of 3 is really good :thumbsup:

For "Comfortably Numb," Roger sings the 1st and 3rd verses while David does the 2nd and 4th.

Although Waters wrote most of the band's material (either alone or collaboration with the others), it wasn't until the "Wish You Were Here" album that he was more predominant (lead vocals).

2 1/2 out of 3 is really good :thumbsup:

For "Comfortably Numb," Roger sings the 1st and 3rd verses while David does the 2nd and 4th.

In school I'd get an 83. Now I'm going to have to get out my CDs and see if I can hear the difference.

Just heard it. The "when I was a child" verses are what I was thinking about.

Art Garfunkel has a really good voice also.

In school I'd get an 83. Now I'm going to have to get out my CDs and see if I can hear the difference.

If this makes a difference ... I had to walk all the way downstairs (for my fact books and other resources) just so I could answer your question correctly. ::

Now, I think that deserves a Tim Horton's Blueberry Fritter .... ummm, ummmm, good!!!!

:D

But you know, I'm gonna pull out the CD soon just for curiosity ... of all these years I've known that tune, I didn't think much of the vocals (as to who sang).

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh good, someone put Layne Staley on the list.

I don't know about best ever, because it's mostly just opinion, and also I don't listen to music from a lot of different time periods, mostly just the early 90s.

But, my favorites:

Maynard James Keenan

Layne Staley

Chris Cornell

Daniel Johns

Billy Corgan (I know, he's so nasal/whiny, but I really like how his voice works with his music)

• 3 weeks later...

My favorites for best male vocals would have to be:

- Paul McCartney

- Freddie Mercury

- David Gilmore

- John Lennon

- Eric Clapton

- Art Garfunkel

- Robert Plant

Each have their own distinct voice: some convey earnestness or vulnerbility, others have wide range and are conventionally good and all are excellent, powerful singers.

David Gilmour, The singer for Yes (I don't know his name), Jimmy Page (he isn't really that great of a singer, but I like his voice), Freddie Mercury. Call me crazy, but I would have to say Roger Waters. He sings with such a precarious and disturbed sound (When he isn't doing that novelty voice like in Nobody Home).