best male vocals ever...

bigmarty_34

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post was in fun. Should I worry?

No, no , no. I was just fooling with you. Bluesy's our historian around here. Also one of the most easy going cats at Songfacts. If you're big on jazz, you and he should have some interesting discussions. I think it's safe to say his collection takes up most of San Diego.

Frank Sinatra is definately king. Tony Bennett, and I like that new bubliea guy.

For rock elvis definately heads the list, and I think Steve Perry with his classical trained voice is fantastic. He can hit notes that most guys just can;t make. I also liked the Beegees voices. These aren't necessarily my favorite performers, just great voices.

Both excellent but how can a guy named Bluesboy not include the great Joe Williams? Other jazz oriented guys Mel Torme, Chet Baker, Tony Bennett, Lou Rawls, and the most unmistakeable voice in pop music history Louis Armstrong.

Hi Jazzcat,

This thread has mainly been rock oriented, with a few posts

in other genres. I guess I could have listed more. I would not have thought of Joe Williams, you're right. But I think Louis Armstrong was already mentioned in a previous post. At the time, I thought sliding a couple of jazz names in was ok. I guess I could have named more. I probably would have added more in a later post, who knows.

Gotcha Bluesboy, I thought it was interesting to see you list some jazz style singers and just had to put in a plug for one of my favorites. Not trying to be a crusader (ok maybe a little) but I think it helps for people to listen to stuff outside their normal realm. There's so much great music that has been created since the advent of recording and a lot of folks tend to focus on a relatively narrow time frame. Guess we all do it to some extent.Just trying to bring something new/old to the table.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Bono and Sting, especially Bono (U2 is one my fav band), it's just really painful that Bono did smoke too much (look at his voice on the new album)

But if I had to pick one, it will be without a doubt Jeff Buckley, the voice of this guy was so incredible, I mean the range that he had was really amazing...

Now, I didn't find many singers that can reproduce the "I'm wide awake" of Bono on Bad with the same power and intensity...it takes your breath off

Still I dont get why Tom Yorke is so often quoted...I mean he is good but his voice is too weak in high tonalities IMO and overall I dont find his voice very personnal...I'd rather pick up Matthew Bellamy (muse) in this kind of music, for me he is far better than Yorke (vocally speaking)

of coursei agree with your choice of jeff. bono is also a favourite with me although i agree, his voice isn't what it used to be. however i have to say i prefer thom's voice to matt's anyway - thom's has so much more character, it has much more unique sound than matt's.

did you know that when radiohead were starting out and were first signed thom didn't sing the way he does now. their new manager said to him that there was this guy on the scene, and thom should start singing like him. the manager sent him to a gig by none other than the beautiful jeff buckley and after that his vocal style altered dramatically!! matt bellamy is also strongly influenced by jeff but neither of them can touch him!

huh! I beg to differ wth all of you... :) in my opinion these are some of the greatest male vocalists:

1. John Lennon

2. Joe Strummer

3. John Lydon

4. Liam Gallagher

5. Johnny Thunders

6. Jocke from swedish band Kent

and I think Liam Gallagher is just perfect coz he's a fuse between John Lennon and John Lydon.

Although they may not have a register that stretches from here to brazil, I think they have each got something truly signature about their vocals.. and they sound cool and not sappy. :P

Jim Morrison-many different ranges and styles :bow:

Roger Daltry- just listen to that scream in Won't Get Fooled Again

Freddie Mercury- he just sings some great songs

Eric Clapton

Robert Plant

thats about it for rock vocalists...I could go on with lots more...I like the lead singer of Styx's voice too, but i'm not sure what his name is... ::

Jim Morrison-many different ranges and styles :bow:

Roger Daltry- just listen to that scream in Won't Get Fooled Again

Freddie Mercury- he just sings some great songs

Eric Clapton

Robert Plant

thats about it for rock vocalists...I could go on with lots more...I like the lead singer of Styx's voice too, but i'm not sure what his name is... ::

i think thats a pretty good list but also as i said before harrison, lennon, and mcartney

Frank Sinatra is definately king. Tony Bennett, and I like that new bubliea guy.

Sinatra rules all. Non dead people would include Sting and Bono. I'm listening to Jon Anderson right now and I'm real impressed. David Gilmore is one I like on songs like "Us and Them" and "One Slip". Art Garfunkel was pretty impressive also. Peter Gabriel wasn't the greatest but was so distinctive that I can't leave him out.

• 2 weeks later...