A Birthday Wish

Sweet Jane 61

My family is everything to me and my parents are the best. I lost my Dad in 2003 and it was devastating. We shared a birthday, which was so cool. I wrote this to him, I wanted it to be a poem, but I had so much to say. I am sharing it with all of you so that you will take the time to appreciate the ones you love. Time flies by, and you never know when someone will not be with you anymore.

A Birthday Wish

Daddy,

I can't believe another year has passed. My fourth year without you to celebrate our special day. Sharing a birthday with you Daddy, was the best gift every year. From the time I can remeber, it was a day that I looked forward to just as much as Christmas.

When I was little it was dinner at our favorite Chinesse restaurant and then to the department store so I could pick out a toy. The same year after year until I was 12 and our summers were spent in Florida. Those birthdays stand out more in my memories. A few were spent out on the boat and nothing could top those, the ocean and the night sky filled with stars as we remembered birthdays past. Me wanting to grow up and you wanting to be younger. My 18th birthday was a big one, and we had a huge party with the whole neighborhood invited as we partied by the ocean. And we both drank too much that night, how funny was that!

Even after I married and moved away, we still celebrated together, talking about our lives and wondering what the year would hold for us. Being your daughter was the most wonderful thing in the world to me, and sharing a birthday made me feel even more special.

In the 41 years that we had birthdays to share, we only missed out on two, not bad. An now on our birthday it is hard for me to celebrate at all. The memories of birthdays past seem stronger than ever and you aren't here to share the memories. I wish you Happy Birthday Daddy as I do every year. Funny thing, I am now the one not wanting to get older. I love you and have a great birthday.

Your daughter always....April

Our birthday is the 26th and it will be tough again this year for me, I plan on sharing stories with my little girl on how we celebrated our birthdays.

April....this is the second time you've made my eyes tear up in the past two weeks. You have a way of writing that just shoots straight into the heart. My father is alive and well, thank God, but I could still feel what you are writing about....

Please don't be sad today, just remember the good times you had together and know that as long as you remember him, he will live on.