What has happened to cartoons?

TheLizard

Does anyone remember cartoons such as Ren and Stimpy, The Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life, and more recently Invader Zim? These were incredibly funny shows. Unfortunately, the networks that play cartoons are afraid to include the key elements that made these shows funny: twisted humor, dark humor, and sometimes subtle (or not so subtle) adult humor. Now we live in such a politically correct time, kids are forced to watch crap. I just hope there's a time when networks are once again willing to make cartoons that will appeal to all age groups and maturity levels.

Well that's my rant for today. Discussion is encouraged. :P

The earlier Simpsons were awesome, but the recent ones... eck. :P It seemed to me like they ran out of things to do and the stories just started getting ridiculous. *shrugs*

And don't forget Pinky and The Brain. Shows like it and Animaniacs were ones that even adults could get into and have fun watching. I miss those shows. I could always just go grab some old scratched up cassette tapes that I used to record them I guess.

I love the voices. The people that have that talent, to have so many voices and personalities inside them, amazes me. I remember seeing the Simpsons cast on The Actors Studio, answering questions and speaking in character. It was great.

I've had the conversation about old Nickelodeon shows a million times, and I've come to this conclusion: Cartoons haven't gotten worse, we've just outgrown them. Last year I saw an episode of Ren and Stimpy, and thought it was the stupidest thing in the world (and not in a good way!). The humor seemed dark and twisted to us because we were young and naive. However, if you watch today's cartoons, you'll still get all the poop jokes you seem to desire.

However, one thing I've noticed about the children of the new millenium is that the desire to be older starts at a younger age. I think a lot of that is reflected in today's cartoons. I remember hating middle school because I still felt like a kid and everyone else was pretending they were 18. However, I've noticed a lot of kids still in elementary school fretting over designer jeans, and being negatively influenced by MTV. It seems to me that really young children wish they were already teenagers. Of course, that's perfectly understandable, because we teenagers are super-awesome.

The first toon that came to mind was Looney Tunes followed by Bullwinkle, they've been mentioned, without surprise. I wonder if they still air reruns of Warner Bros. originals, preferably those that were made pre-50's.

Also I'd include: Under Dog, Mighty Mouse, Tom & Jerry, & my all-time favorite Casper the Friendly Ghost. Does anybody remember the name of the Time Travel cartoon, that featured a Boy Scientist & his Dog, it was a classic educational toon. I think it aired in segments during Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Now we live in such a politically correct time, kids are forced to watch crap.

I hate to be a wet blanket here, but kids aren't forced to watch anything. I think it's incredibly sad that we as a society place so much emphasis on television that it's unheard of not to watch it. I'd much rather my daughter read a book, play with toys to enrich her imagination or go outside and play. I am a slave to the electronic teat and I don't want her to turn out the same way.

*climbing off my soapbox*

That being said, Looney Tunes were the bomb, yo. :jester: