"Cruel Summer"

MindCrime

I've never made any secret of my appreciation of The Nanas....

03-05-06 06:17 AM - Post#207505

In response to OLD 55

Despite being a dour and humourless "post-punk /indie kid" in the eighties, I really liked Bananarama, even after SAW became involved. They put out some really great singles.

They were unpretentious: a genuine case of a bunch of mates getting together to form a band.They weren't exactly brimming with talent, though they did write quite alot of their own material. They were "natural"- not groomed for stardom on account of their stunning looks (like so many all-girl / all-boy bands...). Not such "manufactured pop" as many would imagine

Many aren't aware that the 'Nanas were quite heavily influenced by The Sex Pistols: they used to hang out with (some of) them. Apparently, Pistols guitarist Steve Jones encouraged them to make a go of their embryonic band: he also produced their first single "Aie A Mwana" (or something like that). This was never a hit, so doesn't feature on any of their "Best Of ..." compilations.

Forgive me if I've said all this stuff before. I may be having a deja vu...

I had also waxed lyrical about them in the "Songs About Sex" thread, when referring to their excellent "Robert De Niro's Waiting", (all about a woman shutting out the horror of rape by keeping "something much better in mind") Regrettably, I can't quote my post from that highly informative and entertaining thread, as it (the thread) is no more. It is an ex-thread. It has ceased to be.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know "I Heard A Rumor" was a cover....who did the original?...I always thought Bananarama did the original version...they did do a lot of covers...one that hasn't been mentioned yet, but is a good one is "He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'"