Robin Trower at The Starland Ballroom

RonJonSurfer

Here's an e-mail I received from my good friend and rock buddy Neil Stewart. Neil and I have not gone to enough shows lately, but here is his e-mail to me detailing the latest by Robin Trower:

By the way, Trower tore it up at the Starland. The guy just keeps getting better with age. When he first walked on stage (I was about 25 feet away from the Marshall stack.) he looked like somebody’s sickly grandfather on furlough from the nursing home. He quickly dispelled any notion that he was ready for geezerhood with a blistering version of “Too Rolling Stoned†and several newer cuts that were quite good. All the cuts featured the usual Trower heavy distortion and wah wah, producing the Hendrix – like wall of sound. And it was pretty damn loud from where I was standing (a beautiful thing indeed). After the show, I came away convinced that he should be considered up there with Clapton and Beck etc. as the ultimate British blues guitarists.

What I wanna know is: where do these 60+ year old rockers get the energy? He was still wailing away right though the encore after being on stage for an hour and a half – looked like he could’ve kept going all night. Damn, I cut the lawn and I’m pretty much wiped for the rest of the day.

So there you go gang...see Robin Trower!

• 3 months later...