32 Worst Lyrics Of All Time

Farin

Here's an article with the 32 worst lines in songwriting history... :)

just an example:

THE SONG: LFO, “Summer Girlsâ€

THE LYRIC: “New Kids On the Block had a bunch of hits / Chinese food makes me sick / And I think it's fly when girls stop by for the summer, for the summer.â€

THE VERDICT: We would print out the whole song, but we threw up after they rhymed “speakin’†with “Alex P. Keaton.â€

Is it strange that the thing that bugged me about this article was that they reference Donna Summer's version of MacArthur's Park, instead of the Richard Harris version???

THE SONG: Donna Summers, et al "MacArthur Park"

THE LYRIC: "Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think I could take it, `cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe again, oh no!"

THE VERDICT: Oft-cited on these lists, this song is classically inscrutable. But sometimes "inscrutable" is just a polite way of saying "not very good."

To make matters worse, I like the stupid song!!

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I love the music of America. That having been said, they have written some of the most nonsensical lyrics in popular music. Here are a few of their gems:

And cause never was the reason for the evening or the Tropic of Sir Galahad (Tinman)

Under the cities lies a heart made of ground but the humans will give no love (A Horse With No Name)

Cause the free wind is blowin through your hair and the days surround you daylight there

Seasons crying no despair, alligator lizards in the air (Ventura Highway)

Sorry boy, but I've been hit by purple rain

Aw, come on Joe, you can always change your name (Ventura Highway)

THE SONG: Black Eyed Peas, "My Humps"

THE LYRIC: “My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,

My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely lady lumps.â€

THE VERDICT: This has got to be the least appealing description for the female anatomy every conceived.

Amen, this song annoyed the living pi** outta me.

THE SONG: Zager & Evans, "In the Year 2525"

THE LYRIC: "In the year 7510 If God's a-comin', he oughta make it by then/Maybe he'll look around himself and say/Guess it's time for the judgment day."

THE VERDICT: The song is insufferable as it is, but why change the "in the year X" formula for this line? At least stay consistent.

To make "ten" rhyme with "then" , of course ! :doh:

Whatever you think of the song, it was the measuring stick for 'One Hit Wonders' for many years !

Also, I like Richard Harris' version of MacArthur Park.

"Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think I could take it, `cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe again, oh no!"

I think that's a dandy line in the Park.

;)

The authors of this article should have polled a couple of generations back. Then they'd really find some "cheesy" lyrics. Moon, June, soon, croon, spoon, tune... At least the writers/ singers weren't trying to rape domestic animals.

Some lines that really curl my toes include....

"Gonna write a classic,

Gonna write it in an attic,

Cos baby , I'm an addict

for your love"

"Classic" by Adrian Gurvitz

"I laughed at all your jokes, my love you didn't need to coax" fom Rod Stewart's "Maggie May"

"War, war is stupid, and people are stupid,

And love means nothing in some strange quarters" from Culture Club's "War Is Stupid"

and...

"That's why I'm as serious as cancer, when I say "rhythm is a dancer"", from "Rhythm Is A Dancer" by some hapless dolt or another.