Whats the deal with Emo?

Then there was Live 8 where they put on a million dollar concert to "raise awareness" when they could have charged a dollar for admission and raised millions of dollars for charity.

My God, you are such a dumbass. Teenagers get sad about measly things like breaking up with their girlfriends because they don't have the experience of, oh I don't know, starvation. Their feelings are relative to their personal experiences. And I don't know any teenagers who actually think their problems are on par with the problems of starving children in Africa.

I think you are the one who lives in a bubble. People like you think that teenage depression doesn't exist. Unfortunately, many adults are like that, and adults are the only ones who can solve the problem. Either adults need to get out of their "everything is perfect as long as you aren't starving" bubble, or we need more teenage psycholigists and scientists to cure depression.

And I think it's interesting that you say you "have no use for them." What do you usually "use" teenagers for?

And another question; what have you done recently to make the world a better place?

Oh man, that last one is way too long to answer--and way too personal for a message board. If you want to know that kind of stuff about me, go to my MySpace message board and ask it of me there.

I WAS a teenager once, and I realize that the bologna that I was worried about then, is totally insignificant compared to the stuff I have to worry about now. I have to worry about how I'm going to keep a roof over my family's head, how I'm going to feed and cloth them. But you dont hear me on the radio singing songs and complaining about it, do you? No! Cuz what good is complaining about it gonna do? You have to go out and DO something about it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, that last one is way too long to answer--and way too personal for a message board. If you want to know that kind of stuff about me, go to my MySpace message board and ask it of me there.

You're telling him that you won't answer that on a message board but you can answer it on a message board? Interesting.

Paul, teenagers don't have the benefit, as you and I do, of hindsight. How are they going to learn to not worry about something if they don't first worry about it?

I WAS a teenager once, and I realize that the bologna that I was worried about then, is totally insignificant compared to the stuff I have to worry about now. I have to worry about how I'm going to keep a roof over my family's head, how I'm going to feed and cloth them. But you dont hear me on the radio singing songs and complaining about it, do you? No! Cuz what good is complaining about it gonna do? You have to go out and DO something about it.

Well here's the thing, you can learn about depression and tough times from hearing other peoples experiences, but you can't really learn what it's like to be depressed until you go through a tough time. You can't just tell a teenager why his problems are miniscule, teenagers have to learn that for themselves. However, teenagers can go through very tough times. Although it happens more frequently with adults, teens can lose loved ones. I've known people who have had a best friend die, and they became very depressed about it.

Another point I'm going to make is that sure, teens can be whiny, but I don't think adults realize how whiny they are too. I always hear adults say "oh man, I hate my job, my boss is such a jerk, I can't wait until I get out of this cubicle and follow my dreams and stuff." But most adults never do anything about it, and they just sit in their cubicle and whine about how tough life can be when they need to sit around all day pushing paper. The only difference between whiny adults and whiny teens is that whiny teens have guitars.

Look, I had adults telling what a dufus I was when I was 15, so now as an adult myself it is my right--nay, my DUTY to tell 15 year olds of today what dufuses they are. Who knows, maybe it will help them grow up and learn a bit...or maybe it wont. But if they are gonna act like twerps, then its my right to point it out to them that they are acting like twerps...is it not?

I WAS a teenager once, and I realize that the bologna that I was worried about then, is totally insignificant compared to the stuff I have to worry about now. I have to worry about how I'm going to keep a roof over my family's head, how I'm going to feed and cloth them. But you dont hear me on the radio singing songs and complaining about it, do you? No! Cuz what good is complaining about it gonna do?

Oh man, that was hilarious. :laughing:

Look, I had adults telling what a dufus I was when I was 15, so now as an adult myself it is my right--nay, my DUTY to tell 15 year olds of today what dufuses they are. Who knows, maybe it will help them grow up and learn a bit...or maybe it wont. But if they are gonna act like twerps, then its my right to point it out to them that they are acting like twerps...is it not?

Ah, I see. Well, if it is your duty to guide teens, you might want to do it in a more constructive way. Maybe give some teens some advice that might better their lives, as opposed to saying something like this:

So all these teenage kids who are making this sad new school Emo music must be like living in Africa, starving and living in poverty, and being forced into wars by evil dictators, Right? I mean compared to that what does a spoiled teenage brat living in suburbia have to be sad about?

I mean come on people--this is f%$#ing America. We have everything handed to us on a silver f#%&ing platter! And what are we going to do with this blessing? Sing about how f%$#ing sad we are?

I'd like to add that adults have also been telling me and my peers that we are dufuses. So I feel it is my right--nay, my DUTY to inform certain adults that they are rude, obnoxious, and ignorant hypocrites. (I'm not saying these things about you specifically mind you, this is a general statement about the average adult. The only characteristics in this paragraph that apply to you are rude, obnoxious, and ignorant. I haven't seen you be hypocritical yet).

The Beatles were emo:

The Beatles - "I'm a Loser"

I'm a loser

I'm a loser

And I'm not what I appear to be

Of all the love I have won or have lost

There is one love I should never have crossed

She was a girl in a million, my friend

I should have known she would win in the end

I'm a loser

And I lost someone who's near to me

I'm a loser

Although I laugh and I act like a clown

Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown

My tears are falling like rain from the sky

Is it for her or myself that I cry

I'm a loser

I'm a loser

What have I done to deserve such a fate

I realize I have left it too late

And so it's true, pride comes before a fall

I'm telling you so that you won't lose all

I'm a loser

I'm a loser

Crying won't help anything! Go out and DO something about it, McCartney!

And let's not forget..........

Help, i need somebody,

Help, not just anybody,

Help, you know i need someone, help.

When i was younger, so much younger than today,

I never needed anybody's help in any way.

But now these days are gone, i'm not so self assured,

Now i find i've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, i'm feeling down

And i do appreciate you being round.

Help me, get my feet back on the ground,

Won't you please, please help me.

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,

My independence seems to vanish in the haze.

But every now and then i feel so insecure,

I know that i just need you like i've never done before.

Won't you please, please help me.

When i was younger, so much younger than today,

I never needed anybody's help in any way.

But now these daya are gone, i'm not so self assured,

Now i find i've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Won't you please, please help me, help me, help me, oh

Emo as ..........

Yer Blues by The Beatles

Yes I'm lonely

Wanna die

Yes I'm lonely

Wanna die

If I ain't dead already

Ohhh girl you know the reason why.

In the morning

Wanna die

In the evening

Wanna die

If I ain't dead already

My mother was of the sky

My father was of the earth

But I am of the universe

And you know what it's worth.

I'm lonely

Wanna die

If I ain't dead already

The eagle picks my eye

The worm he licks my bone

I feel so sucidal

Just like Dylan's Mr. Jones

Lonely

Wanna die

If I ain't dead already

Black cloud crossed my mind

Blue mist round my soul

Feel so sucidal

Even hate my rock and roll

Wanna die

Yeah

Wanna die

If I ain't dead already

You know... whenever something used to go wrong and I used to feel miserable, I used to tell myself to cheer up... look on the bright side... things could be worse.

Then is comes to my consciousness... yes, thing COULD be worse... but they're bad enough already! Oh yes... I have a horrible time table this year. And before anyone bringing up any thread on this topic I already knew that my situation was nothing compared to the pain and poverty and war and strife and whatnot in the world. I KNOW it won't bother me in the long run and it's not a life-and-death instance... BIG Deal! It matters to me NOW! life sucks NOW... if there was an earthquake and the city was flattened, life would probably suck more, but since THAT hasn't happened, THIS will have to make do.

What do you want? cheery plastic smiled Black Hole Sun people?

I'd like to add that adults have also been telling me and my peers that we are dufuses. So I feel it is my right--nay, my DUTY to inform certain adults that they are rude, obnoxious, and ignorant hypocrites.

Batman, I admire you more every day :bow: :bow:

Batman and Radhi are the young brains in SF by now...

:)

You know... whenever something used to go wrong and I used to feel miserable, I used to tell myself to cheer up... look on the bright side... things could be worse.

Then is comes to my consciousness... yes, thing COULD be worse... but they're bad enough already! Oh yes... I have a horrible time table this year. And before anyone bringing up any thread on this topic I already knew that my situation was nothing compared to the pain and poverty and war and strife and whatnot in the world. I KNOW it won't bother me in the long run and it's not a life-and-death instance... BIG Deal! It matters to me NOW! life sucks NOW... if there was an earthquake and the city was flattened, life would probably suck more, but since THAT hasn't happened, THIS will have to make do.

What do you want? cheery plastic smiled Black Hole Sun people?

:bow: :bow:

I'd like to apply for the president of the Levis Fan club, please... :grin:

So all these teenage kids who are making this sad new school Emo music must be like living in Africa, starving and living in poverty, and being forced into wars by evil dictators, Right? I mean compared to that what does a spoiled teenage brat living in suburbia have to be sad about?

I mean come on people--this is f%$#ing America. We have everything handed to us on a silver f#%&ing platter! And what are we going to do with this blessing? Sing about how f%$#ing sad we are?

Seriously, can someone explain this to me, and why I shouldnt beat the livin snot out of the next whiney Emo I see?

When I read Mr. PEWs post, I don't think he was just refering to the music, but more to the emo "style" as a whole...

(and quite eloquently too, if I dare to say it ;))