7. Romeo And Juliet - Dire Straits

8. All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks

9. Tribute - Tenacious D

10. Enter Sandman - Metallica

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all who've voted so far. 2 still to vote - Judo and Namahage.

Then we have ourselves a Top Ten. It is for the week ending 26 July. I really think we could have continued on the 5 day cycle.

We might have a "Special Top Ten" as a filler when this one is posted and digested. I'm just going through the Archive filling in all the points that were missing; we didn't have them for Top Tens 1 to 6.

:)

1. Earth Angel (Will You Be Mine) - The Penguins

2. Pipeline - Chantays

3. Walk-Don't Run - The Ventures

4. China Grove - The Doobie Brothers

5. All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks

6. She's Gone - Hall And Oates

7. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? - Chicago

8. Sweet Soul Music - Arthur Conley

9. It's Too Late - Carole King

10. Burning Down The House - Talking Heads

Hi Joe ! Guess what arrived the other day from Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin - my new "Top R & B/ Hip-Hop Singles" book, although I think it's sacrilege to mention both those terms in the same sentence.

Earth Angel (Will You Be Mine)/ The Penguins topped the R & B Charts for 3 weeks in 1955. They only placed #8 with it in the Pop Charts, the version by white group The Crew-Cuts reaching #3. (They just called it Earth Angel). It was good value, because they also covered Perry Como's Ko Ko Mo (I Love You So) on the other side. I bought it when I was 14.

OLD 55, sorry to have kept you waiting. Here goes:

1. Delilah - Tom Jones

2. Don't Cry Joni - Conway Twitty

3. Delta Dawn - Tanya Tucker

4. Jambalaya - Hank Williams Sr.

5. Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue - Crystal Gayle

6. He'll Have To Go - Jim Reeves

7. Are The Good Times Really Over (I Wish A Buck Was Still Silver) - Merle Haggard

8. Cotton Fields - Creedence Clearwater Revival

9. Young Girl - Gary Puckett & The Union Gap

10. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen (The one and only Queen's song that I like)

In the words of Dusty Sprigfield and The Pet Shop Boys - what have I done to deserve this, Kevin ? (I do appreciate your kind gesture).

Probably having a bit of time up our sleeve with the weekend approaching will work out O.K., but I suggest we have something 'in between'.

SUGGESTION: A proposed "special" Top Ten. I noticed when I was going through the Archives for #1 to #21 today that there are a lot of songs in our previous nominations that polled less than 10 Points.

How about a "Zero To Nine" Top Ten voted on from these ? There's over 150 (I just counted them), so we'd have to nominate some each before voting. There's some good songs amongst them + some I don't know !

:P

Hi sweet peaches. Did you know I was thinking of you when I nominated "Midnight Train To Georgia" last Top Ten ? I hope you voted for it !

Farin and I are just PTing madly here. Either he or I will 'cut and paste' a List from the Archives so there's no confusion.

Please watch this space. :)

Alright Old 55 had to go to sleep (you know old age and all that... :grin:) he says "Goodnight" to all

Here's the run down of this "Special Ten": Tomorrow (Friday) Darryl or I will post the list of all songs of the past Top Tens that got nine or less points. Out of these everybody can nominate three songs, that are later voted for. We decided on three songs, because we plan to wrap it up on the weekend, when traffic isn't so high...

So basically it's just a fill-in for those who are around, don't want to get you bored now, do we? ;)

1: Romeo And Juliet - Dire Straits

2: Game Of Love - Michelle Branch & Carlos Santana

3: Back In The Saddle - Aerosmith

4: Life In The Fast Lane - The Eagles

5: Tie Your Mother Down - Queen

6: Prove It All Night - Bruce Springsteen

7: Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry

8: Tiny Dancer - Elton John

9: Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve

10: Tribute - Tenacious D

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

For Week Ending Wednesday 26th July 2006.

1. ALL DAY AND ALL OF THE NIGHT - THE KINKS

2. BITTER SWEET SYMPHONY - THE VERVE

3. TINY DANCER - ELTON JOHN

4. AIN'T NO SUNSHINE - BILL WITHERS

5. CHINA GROVE - THE DOOBIE BROTHERS

6. ROMEO AND JULIET - DIRE STRAITS

7. TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN - QUEEN

8. WILD THING - THE TROGGS

9. SOUTHERN MAN - NEIL YOUNG

10.LIFE IN THE FAST LANE - THE EAGLES

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO NOMINATED AND VOTED !!!

Farin will give you the full breakdown of Years and Points later.

All feedback is appreciated ! :)

But we can't get Waterloo Sunset in. Tried twice now. Sunny Afternoon made it to a Ten though. They're my two favorite Kinks' songs (as you know Katie). Dedicated Follower Of Fashion didn't make it before either.

I might nominate You Really Got Me? No, that song's one of the greatest examples of self plagiarism (from All Day And All Of The Night). I like them both though - in fact there's not many Kinks' songs I don't like.