Masturbation Rock

Daslied is correct - indicates any band or music in which the aim is self-indulgence, the musician(s) are following ever more prosaic or protracted methods of music making that have no real merit to the audience, they are just there to prove how great the musicians are (or how far up their own backsides they have gotten), they are doing it purely for their own pleasures and have usually lost sight of their audience. A typical example might be Yes's Tales From Topographic Oceans or Flaming Lips' Zaireeka (and don't get me wrong, I am fan of both band's music).

A phrase that I read many years ago in a Queen review summed it up perfectly "techno-flash wankery".

I was just wondering! I'd heard this term before refering to the aformentioned bands and I didn't know what they were talking about. I thought someone would know here.

Wait a doggone minute: you're 17 and you're telling us you know nothing of masturbation??! :o }:( :confused: :shades:

...they are just there to prove ... ...how far up their own backsides they have gotten

Guess I must have been doing it wrong all these years....

As for the rest of your point, Charlie, I add my two penneth: to create a piece of music/art, (or stage a performance of such), derived purely from ones enjoyment of / belief in the creative process, and without any recourse to such notions as "pleasing the audience" is surely the ultimate statement of artistic integrity...

to create a piece of music/art, (or stage a performance of such), derived purely from ones enjoyment of / belief in the creative process, and without any recourse to such notions as "pleasing the audience" is surely the ultimate statement of artistic integrity...

Also, it makes an excellent cop-out when you churn out a load of crap.

What I think folk are saying is that self-endulgent musicianship is akin to said musician pulling his metaphoric pud, or indeed searching for her metaphoric man in the boat... I think...

The listener receives this aural onslaught and if sufficiently moved constructs a mental Sherman also..

... derived purely from ones enjoyment of / belief in the creative process, and without any recourse to such notions as "pleasing the audience" is surely the ultimate statement of artistic integrity...

Does that also factor into the equation the audience's responsibility to the artist's financial well being?

I think any artist who does not care if there is an audience must likewise be willing to perform alone, for free, which afterall, is truly "masturbation rock." The self-indulgent performer among paying customers could best be equated to a circle jerk.