What are you reading this summer ?

Kevin

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading "The Millionaire Next Door" by Stanley & Danko. Forget the likes of Paris Hilton, this is a case study in the likes of Sam Walton or H.L. Hunt. (That is, someone who prefers to buy from JC Penney, drives a "domestic iron" sedan, has a wife who clips discount coupons instead of frequenting Macy's, and doesn't look "Rich," but is definitely worth at least $1 million.) In a nutshell: save/invest more than you spend, have a plan for the future, and find a "soulmate for life."

I just finished reading "The Narrows" by Michael Connelly, "Bones And Silence" by Reginald Hill and "A Dedicated Man" by Peter Robinson. What can I say? I like crime fiction, particularly police procedurals.

If anyone else likes crime fiction, I highly recommend all of the aforementioned authors. Harry Bosch, Dalziel & Pascoe and Alan Banks are complex, funny and well-conceived characters.

I've just read The Birds by Tarjei Vesaas. "The Birds tells the moving story of a mentally retarded man, Matthis, who has an innate feel for poetry. Mattis is thirty'seven, an outsider doomed to loneliness. He lives with his sister, Hege, who is slightly older and who takes care of him. When she falls in love with a lumberman, Jørgen, Mattis realizes how Hege's life is full of frustrations. Eventually Mattis's confused actions lead to his destruction. One of the central symbols of the story is a woodcock, which brings a message from unexplained realms of life:

Mattis bent down and read what was written. Looked at the graceful dancing footprints. That's how fine and graceful the bird is, he thought. That's how gracefully my bird walks over the marshy ground when he's tired of the air.

You are you, that was what was written.

What a greeting to receive. "

I can recommend it wholeheartedly!

I'm going to drop-out from this thread, I put the book back that I was reading & returned it to the library, after the story got all muddled in the middle & lost it's concept point. A lot of books, don't keep a straight plot, & it shows where the author tried to fit in other story ties.

The only thing I'll be reading this summer, is this website. :beatnik:

Reading The Great Australian Trilogy by Bryce Courtenay again. Finished the first two books, The Potato Factory and Tommo & Hawk and have just begun the final book, Solomon's Song.

The books are absolutely brilliant, Bryce Courtenay is a genius. The characters in his stories are part fact, part fiction, but all the historical information is factual and accurate.

this summer I have so far read

"confessions of a food addict" by william leith

"the perks of being a wallflower" by stephen chbosky

"freakonomics" by stephen levitt& stephen dubner

"war of the worlds" by HG wells

"Haunted" by chuck paulaniuk

"life after god" by douglas coupland

I really enjoyed "confessions of a food addict", "the perks of being a wallflower" and "freakonomics", highly reccommend all of them, especially the later. I found "war of the worlds" quite boring, "haunted" quite pointless, probably the worst paulaniuk book i have read (read most of them but not "diary ", the one shawna mentioned). I have yet to make up my mind about "life after god".

That's one of my favorite books ever, along with the movie. I couldn't put it down when I rented it from the library & almost didn't give it back!

Bateman sees right through Bono and exposes him for the sleazy fraud I've always maintained he is. (I've just read that chapter)

Apart from that, we don't have such alot in common.