The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 21

I believe some see it as the "cool" thing to do - nominating Classic Rock.

Personally I'd like to see one Top Ten with no Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, Doors, Deep Purple etc. etc. but I'm happy to go with the opinion of the majority.

Adressing Ron's Post, I had the Ten running so we were "always ahead" date wise and was going to have "specialty" Tens (like Phil's 'Worst Songs' one we did run) concurrently to maintain interest. (Classic Pre 1950 Songs is the next proposed one).

This hasn't happened lately, with suggestions being made to me that we were running the Tens too frequently and they could be every 10 days, or at least weekly. However Carl recognized the success of our Threads and told me it was "my call".

If we DO want to have the Top Ten in 'multiples of 5 days', we have to make it:

2 days for nominations

2 days for voting

1 day to declare/ analyse/ and have feedback

Maybe that is too tight ??? Many people aren't around at weekends. I thought most of you were eager to have as many Top Tens as possible. Maybe I've misread it.

I can always change the date of our previous one #20 to 'week ending 12th July', make this one #21 'week ending 19th July' and make the next one 'week ending 26th July' and we can perhaps have a "special topic" one running concurrently.

:P

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to see any country/western music in these nominations

I nominated these. That's 10% of my nominations. You could justly argue that these are "crossover" Hits. Willie Nelson used to get nominated a bit early on, but never made a Ten.

Seven Spanish Angels - Wille Nelson & Ray Charles

Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus

The Devil Went Down To Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band

Handle With Care - The Traveling Wilburys

About the other thing... I'm not particularly enamoured of the idea of putting restrictions on the nominations. As Ron points out, we can certainly have "special" groups - I have yet to see any country/western music in these nominations! - but don't restrict the regular lists...

My thoughts echo yours

Of course bluesboy suggested 5,10,15,20,25,30th day of each month and that was working fine. In fact we were always ahead of time and people would PT me and say "when are we going to nominate ?" I'd usually be putting on the Top Ten a few days early !

This one could have been well and truly wound up by now, because most voted straight away. We've had 695 views, many late yesterday/ today, so obviously people have been checking to see if the Top Ten was up yet !

:stars:

:help:

once again, the current schedule works well for me, but then I'm a Songfact junkie and will log in and get my fix more than every 7 days, so I will be available to nominate regardless. Even when I was the hospital fro 6 days, seems that I didn't miss any of the top tens...

Hi Darryl, good evening (+7 hour difference, East Aus - West US) :stars:

A moment ago, I was speculating, in a generally speaking term, (as a common anonymous user) about the Top 10 lists.

My spouse & I are relatively new to these Top 10 user-picks weekly charts, as they started around 1/2 a year ago[?]:confused:, while we were on hiatus. I don't know much about them, or how they work, other than the fact that you do a terrific job at running them. So, all apologies, for any incoherance or rubbish laggish off-topic ramblings; as I just got back from the pub, & intoxicated from a couple pints of lager tonight. :beer:

I believe some see it as the "cool" thing to do - nominating Classic Rock. Personally I'd like to see one Top Ten with no Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, Doors, Deep Purple etc. etc.

This would be an interesting "Theme" for an upcoming Top 10, "No Classic Rock" or "No Hard Rock-period"; pertaining to a standard rule for that particular TEN week, having the mood swing, setting on 50's Jukebox Classics, Howlin' Wolfman Jack radio playlists, the pure-cut "Oldies, but Goodies" & maybe anything up to the current, as long as it doesn't fall into the hard rock circuit, ETC.

Addressing Ron's Post, I had the Ten running so we were "always ahead" date wise and was going to have "specialty" Tens (like the 'Worst Songs' one we did run) concurrently to maintain interest. (Classic Pre 1950 Songs is the next proposed one).

1 favuorable question ??? (pertaining the general public): Would it be possible to have the dates at the latest year being 1959 (for example), I'm assuming the obvious, that most Songfactors, especially our current "Newest Group" of High School upper-classmen, might have a hard deal, in coming up with a total of 50+ song nominations prior to 1950. Just a general observation, based on the site's projection as a whole; not reflected on my own views.

Is there a chance the "Worst songs" or "all-Sixties" theme is going to be ran again anytime in the near future (next couple months)?

This hasn't happened lately, with suggestions being made to me that we were running the Tens too frequently and they could be every 10 days, or at least weekly. However Carl recognized the success of our Threads and told me it was "my call".

In regards to the weekly-ran Top10's.

- {Example: If they were ran all week long, starting on a certain day like Sunday, with say the first 4 days being set for nominations, & then on the 4th day (Thursday) votes are cast until Saturday night when the tallies were counted for.} [color:silver]given example only, not an opinionated view

This would give most users a better chance at voting, when the time is right, since the Time Zone periods in the day are set at 3 primary divided shifts, and most Yanks are asleep while the Ozzies are up during the evening, & the Pommies[uK] are just beginning their morning.

• Sydney/Wlngtn/Tokyo O:OOam-7:59am {GMT:Los Angeles};
  • Honolulu 4:00am-11:59am {GMT:Los Angeles};
  • LA/Hou/Van 8:00am-3:59pm {GMT:Los Angeles};
  • NYC/Chi/Tor 11:00pm-6:59pm {GMT:Los Angeles};
  • BAires/SaoPaublo 12:00pm-7:59pm {GMT:Pacific-TA}
  • Lon/Mdrd/Bonn/Jhnsbrg 4:00pm-11:59pm {GMT: Los Angeles};
  • Clctta/Bmby/HngKng O:OO 9:00pm-4:59am {GMT:Los Angeles};

- World Greenwhich Mean Time Stats

Edited by Guest
so absurd, I'm too pissed from the pub; sorry to the pplz who have wasted a few minutes of their precious lives reading this post

once again, the current schedule works well for me, but then I'm a Songfact junkie and will log in and get my fix more than every 7 days, so I will be available to nominate regardless.

I guess Shawna said it for mostly all of us! :smile:

Thanks to all who've given their thoughts on the Topics I raised. :)

Some very well thought out Posts and opinions were put forward. Mindcrime, we only started the Top Ten the last week in March. That one proposed by CanAm (pre 50s Songs) is only on the drawing board at this stage. It would only be a fun thing anyway, like the 'worst songs'. When I think of "special Top Tens" I think more of occasions, such as spooky songs for Halloween, Christmas Songs, etc.

I also got a few PTs, including one from a good friend saying " Whattaya gonna do !?!. Don't confuse things - people are happy with it now."

Thanks Friend. What we're going to do is to discontinue 'polls', etc. and carry on just as we have been. That doesn't mean I'm disregarding your opinions. If numbers drop off, Farin and I will know it's time to change it. Of course if there's something you really don't like, we'd prefer you to tell us first, rather than 'drop out'.

We'll end this Top Ten later today (the 15th). We'll give the remaining nominator a chance to vote. If/when that person does, Farin will close it off; if not, I'll close it off when I come back online in about 13/14 hours.

Again, thanks for your input.

:)

Speaking for myself :

5-Day Top Tens is quite an exciting frequency, but these days I've been busy on the job front and had little or no time to give other threads a looksee.

7-Day Top Tens would be preferable in view of the time difference, and in my case, also in view of the difference in weekend.

I like it the way it is too. No restrictions other that what we already have in place.

I like Darryl's ideas on special top tens too, like Christmas songs, etc, rather than decades. I don't think it of any concern that some decades/groups/genders/genres are well represented in the top ten and others aren't. This is just a bit of fun, you know, seeing what the general consensus is on a handful of songs nominated by people who truly love music. My nominations hardly ever make the ten, but that doesn't worry me in the slightest. I just like being part of this, seeing what everyone else has voted for and who claimed the coveted number one position on our world famous top ten!

So thankyou to Darryl and Farin for putting so much time and effort into making this work. I enjoy being a part of it very much :bow: :bow:

1. While songs from the 50's (or before) or the early 60's have little chance of making the TopTen, I'd rather see the nominating criteria remain the same. No special decades or genres.

2. 3 days, 5 days, 7 days...whatever you choose is fine with me. If I miss a list I won't die.

3. I recommend that December (maybe even part of November) be dedicated to Songs Of The Season. Obviously we'd be crossing religious/ethnic demographics here but maybe during this period you could continue the regular Top Ten for everyone, including those who prefer to forego the Holiday lists.

4. Vote for Joe's songs and win valuable points that can be redeemed for exciting prizes.

1. While songs from the 50's (or before) or the early 60's have little chance of making the TopTen, I'd rather see the nominating criteria remain the same. No special decades or genres.

2. 3 days, 5 days, 7 days...whatever you choose is fine with me. If I miss a list I won't die.

3. I recommend that December (maybe even part of November) be dedicated to Songs Of The Season. Obviously we'd be crossing religious/ethnic demographics here but maybe during this period you could continue the regular Top Ten for everyone, including those who prefer to forego the Holiday lists.

4. Vote for Joe's songs and win valuable points that can be redeemed for exciting prizes.

:laughing: :laughing:

I know that CeeCee, Shawna, Uncle Joe and Bluesboy are the closest to me in musical tastes based on our similarities in voting and nominating.

I can't let this go....I too, am honored.

My opinion on the rest...You don't need any more opinions. You do it the way you want. It's your deal.

One observation....Y'all have forgotten, but as far as the country genre goes, I believe Patsy Cline with Crazy made the top ten, did it not? That's about as country as it gets, crossover or not. Someone (phil?) said I know my hardcore country. Yep, I do. Next round I just may nominate Hank, George, or Merle (anything but Sue!). We'll see where that goes! :grin:

Hasn't Earth-Angel voted yet? I thought I saw her yesterday, though maybe I was wrong...

For some reason Earth-Angel didn't nominate and/or vote on the last Top Ten. I hope she'll be back soon... :)

We're just waiting for the case that Elvish wants to put her votes down, she still has a few hours, before Old 55 comes online...

Thanks to all for giving their opinions about the time frame - they are very appreciated :)

I like the current interval of 5 days. However, a 7 day cycle is fine too. Gee, aren't I decisive!!

I like the current format. I don't think we should further restrict the types of songs nominated.

If some people feel that certain gentres (country or easy listening, for example) are not adequately represented in the Top Tens, perhaps we could have separate threads in which only songs of a particular genre or era are allowed to be nominated. To take some of the load off Darryl and Farin, some other Songfactors could be responsible for overseeing these threads. If the idea takes off, I would be willing to do this. If there is no desire to do this, I'm sure we'll all be happy with the status quo and the fabulous job done by Old Fitty and Farin. :bow: :bow: