The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 21

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Edna ! I forgot Cry Me A River. :doh:

I'll never forget seeing/hearing Julie London sing it in (I can't remember the name of the Movie) but she was sexy.

B0000641PU.09.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

(Just to prove I don't really have anything going with your friend Radhi. You both have my blessing).

:)

My fellow Australian c s voted for it also Shawna. It was only a moderate Hit here, about a year before they became really popular.

:)

I was just going to point that out also. Don't Change is actually a fairly popular song in pubs and clubs over here now, and I think it is one of INXS's best.

I think there should be more Elvis, Buddy Holly and 50s music in general on FM radio. My favourite station 96fm plays a lot of The Beatles, but they don't seem to go any earlier than that very often. There was actually a period where I listened to ABC on AM radio quite often, but now I like 96fm too much to go back.

Greg, did you see the Elvis Jailhouse Rock clip from the film ?

:coolio:

(He's gone again).

I come and go like the wind. :P

I don't think I've seen it, and if I have, it's been years and years. :P My dad actually has a few Elvis movies, but I'm not sure if he has the one with Jailhouse Rock in it. O_o

While there's a few of our regulars around, I'll run this by you.

Even though we had a great 'mixed bag' of nominations this last Ten, Farin and I have been thinking of trying to instill even more variety into the nominations.

You know what I usually say - the less rules the better - but we'd just like to try a "once off" where Artists/Groups who've had a #1 are excluded from nominations.

What do you think about that ? Good idea? Bad idea ?

:headphones:

You are the man, Fitty. We will follow wherever you lead. But the original idea was our favorite music with the exception of those appearing in the Daily Top Ten found elsewhwere on this site. Then the exception was added that nothing before 1950 would be nominated. As you add exceptions, you dilute the poll from our favorites to our favorites within parameters; which is OK, but at some point the voting could start to feel "steered." But a specialty Top Ten alongside (and maybe concurrent with) the regular Top Ten would be fun to try.

On another note. I mentioned a couple months ago that I would try to make a "Who Is Your SF Music Soulmate" chart based upon data from this voting. Well.... as I have invested more and more time into it and as more and more polls pile up, I am finding a bewilderingly numeric exponential growth in data, my own confusion and the time required to pull this off correctly. I am no programmer, so have tried to do this manually. You should see the mess I am making with pieces of paper! But, I have slowly realized the data each one of us needs to find his or her music soulmate is being slowly revealed each week in this poll. I know that CeeCee, Shawna, Uncle Joe and Bluesboy are the closest to me in musical tastes based on our similarities in voting and nominating. An "official" data result is not necessary if we each just pay attention to the musical tastes of each of the nominators and voters. This is one of the really cool side benefits to this poll we participate in each week.

Now if some enterprising computer programmmer can just figure out how to electronically crunch all the numbers from our data banks of previous Top Ten nominations and votes (without hundreds of pieces of paper), using a computer the way it should be done .... we could have something scientific. But it ain't going to be me that is the scientist! Sorry, but I did try.

I know that CeeCee, Shawna, Uncle Joe and Bluesboy are the closest to me in musical tastes based on our similarities in voting and nominating.

I am humbled and honored to be included with this crowd.

About the other thing... I'm not particularly enamoured of the idea of putting restrictions on the nominations. As Ron points out, we can certainly have "special" groups - I have yet to see any country/western music in these nominations! - but don't restrict the regular lists...