Is MySpace a legit replacement for the zine culture of the 80s/90s?

Compared to the "Zine culture" of the 80's; I would say yes & know! Have you actually ever seen what MySpace is all about ?? It's nothing but spammed crap on everyone's page, involving all the incoherance one never wanted or needed to involve in. The MagaZine organizations of the last decade, were more serious & laid out in a written context manner, as MySpace is the target of a Generation X gone sour & staying ill.

Myspace is loads better than a magazine, because you can't listen to a magazine. All the new bands are posting songs on myspace for free (and legal too), and tour dates. Plus having a conversation with an indie band on myspace is a better way to connect with fans than doing some stupid interview in Teen Beat magazine. Myspace has been partially responsible, in my opinion, for the booming popularity of indie. And booming popularity of indie can only mean one thing...more creativity and artistic freedom in modern music. And that can only be a good thing.

BTW, your myspace group is hilarious, because there aren't any members. You're talking to yourself, buddy!

Myspace is loads better than a magazine, because you can't listen to a magazine. All the new bands are posting songs on myspace for free (and legal too), and tour dates. Plus having a conversation with an indie band on myspace is a better way to connect with fans than doing some stupid interview in Teen Beat magazine. Myspace has been partially responsible, in my opinion, for the booming popularity of indie. And booming popularity of indie can only mean one thing...more creativity and artistic freedom in modern music. And that can only be a good thing.

BTW, your myspace group is hilarious, because there aren't any members. You're talking to yourself, buddy!

I just started inviting people to join today. I have about 60 friends on MySpace and I invited about half of them. Plus a few other ringers from other boards. I want it to be a rather small group, but the cream of the crop. No whos dating who BS or 'top ten' this or that BS. But, batman, I feel youre a pretty sharp cookie, so I'd be more than glad to have you as a member. Like I say, I jsut sent out the invites today, so it may take a day or two before the debates heat up...

Here's that link again:

http://groups.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecompaulewagemann

I just started inviting people to join today. I have about 60 friends on MySpace and I invited about half of them. Plus a few other ringers from other boards. I want it to be a rather small group, but the cream of the crop. No whos dating who BS or 'top ten' this or that BS. But, batman, I feel youre a pretty sharp cookie, so I'd be more than glad to have you as a member. Like I say, I jsut sent out the invites today, so it may take a day or two before the debates heat up...

Here's that link again:

I don't think I'll join, because it seems like you're posting most of the stuff in the group on songfacts anyways.

Did you just insult us? Because if we are not all that you think we should be, nobody's holding a gun to your head to be here. God forbid the stench of our BS should taint any of your pontificating, Mr. Wagemann.

No, sorry if it appeared that way. I was saying that most message boards on MySpace delve in that BS--so when I mentioned MySpace I thought it might sour some people on my message board.

Like I say I just started it today, so theres not alot of people there yet...hopefully BF will join--are you reading this BF?

And maybe Walter Mitty (since he stalks me everywhere else i go)...and hopefully a couple of you folks will come join...I've got some good ideas for the board--things that I couldnt do here. Like the Album of the Week thread, etc...

Anyway, if you wanna give it a try, then heres a link:

The music part of MySpace is awesome! I don't know what you guys have against any of it? How can you call it spam, Mindcrime if the page is CREATED by and for the user? I love just browsing and taking friends links and discovering new songs and even STYLES you didn't know were out there. Is it a zine culture of the 80's? I wouldn't be able to tell you because I dont know what zine is, and I wasn't around then.

"zine" is short for magazine. If I'm not mistaken, a bunch of people put out independent magazines in an attempt to bring underground rock artists to mainstream audiences.

They also call them "fanzines". I used to make lots of them in the seventies. My rock musicians friends had theirs, we wrote, made drawings and everything, it was very funny. The indie way to communicate. I guess an "on-line zine" would be the equivalent of the paper indie magazines... plus you can put your music on the web and let it be known... the times they are a´changing...

The music part of MySpace is awesome! I don't know what you guys have against any of it?

The part of it that isn't music or anything significant. A lot of rubbish on that site, I don't know how they started up in the first place, it's quite a big deal to have a MySpace page as it is.

How can you call it spam, Mindcrime if the page is CREATED by and for the user?

Daniel, I've seen pages, made by friends (not my own, I locked it) because of other people getting invited to their page, based on trust, & then being a jerk & spamming up the other person's page with advertisements & all sorts of unneccessary "buy me" stickers. At MySpace, you have to be careful who you trust to invite to post on your page.

Actually, myspace was started as dating website, and only recently has it been used for teenagers to be really vain and show how cool they are. The new way to tell someone's social status is to see how many myspace friends they have.

One thing I've learned from myspace is that apparently the hip new thing is being open-minded. In their "interests" sections, everyone will end their "favorite bands" lists by saying "the list goes on and on" or "pretty much anything." The same goes for books, TV, and movies. Ironically, at school the hip new thing is being close-minded, especially when it comes to who you allow in your clique.

I'm sort of torm on this one. Sure myspace is good for soma bands to be discovered, but other than that it's mostly illiterate emotionally disturbed teenagers who need a place to complain about how hard they've got it. Don't take that the wrong way there alot of cool people on myspace too. It just seems that way to me.