Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 20

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mindcrime , you must have a fairly regular wicked case of insomnia -- you're in CA , right ? :o Nice you're around , but , unhealthy, there, young man !

Old Geezer

Edited by Guest
Is it geiser or geezer ... ?

Ahaha ~ Kevin :laughing: you caught me Red-handed with my guard down.:blush: Me & wifey are up late, because my job shift is noc~turnal; & when I have my "at home comp work-assignments" nights, we stay up together, as she assists me in getting the due project done on time. In between work, we like to mess around with the computer on web community sites (like this one) or game zones.

Hi edna. I don't know that song, but as you said Tom Petty was a good friend of Del Shannon and backed him on some of his later records. Jeff Lynne was also a friend and produced his final (I think) Album.

That may have been where the "Wilburys replacement for Roy Orbison" story came from, although I think he was too depressed for live work.

:P

Those are probably only renominations (I've no clue), but here's mine:

Light My Fire -- The Doors

Living Next Door To Alice -- Smokie

No, they haven't been nominated before Seeker. Light My Fire should place highly, and Living Next Door To Alice was #25 U.S., #5 U.K. and #1 here in Australia. I'll vote for it - it's a classic !

:)

That's so true , edna . There is no present ( if ever ) cure for depression . What people take is only a guard against what they may do in such a case . Other therapies , but most importantly , an internal , personal , revision of mind are necessary . Some people can't/won't do this and it just has to be accepted .

Been Caught Stealing - Jane's Addiction

Luka - Suzanne Vega

Luka - Suzanne Vega

My name is luka

I live on the second floor

I live upstairs from you

Yes I think youve seen me before

If you hear something late at night

Some kind of trouble. some kind of fight

Just dont ask me what it was

I think its because Im clumsy

I try not to talk too loud

Maybe its because Im crazy

I try not to act too proud

They only hit until you cry

And after that you dont ask why

You just dont argue anymore

Yes I think Im okay

I walked into the door again

Well, if you ask thats what Ill say

And its not your business anyway

I guess Id like to be alone

With nothing broken, nothing thrown

Just dont ask me how I am

I think it's time for some long songs.

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd (approx. 9 minutes 10 seconds)

Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 1-9 - Pink Floyd (approx. 26 minutes 5 seconds)

O.K. I don't really think that 26 minute album tracks belong on our Top Ten. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is really 9 'pieces' in 2 parts melded together (1-5 and 6-9). I understand some stations play an 'edited' version; maybe it's 1-5?

There's also 2 different versions of Freebird. I don't have any problem with it, and it will probably make my Ten.

We'll show them like this in our Nominations List:

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

I had a message preceding the very first Top Ten - no obscure album tracks. However I acknowledge that these aren't obscure and would be known in one form or another by most people.

Thanks to those members who helped me out with information on this.

:P

I had a message preceding the very first Top Ten - no obscure album tracks. However I acknowledge that these aren't obscure and would be known in one form or another by most people.

SOYCD definitely isn't obscure. I think quite a lot of people have nominated fairly obscure album tracks, or even obscure singles, before. I don't see any problems with it, unless our nominations become overcrowded with obscure tracks and many people are unable to find ten songs they know.

WELCOME BACK RonJon !!!

I thought "You Light Up My Life" and "Tijuana Jail" would be your nominations this time. Seriously, I'm glad you got a glowing report from the Doctor.

;)

The good nukes is I'm radiating good health..

I think Blondie's "Fade Away and Radiate" will be a theme song.

I wanna change my nomination this time and nominate one of my favs, an obscure single; Kites by Simon Dupree and The Big Sound. I just found a live video on YouTube.com. The studio version has a spoken part in chinese, spoken by a girl. Not on this video but it's good anyway:

Watch it here!

So my nominations are:

Kites - Simon Dupree and The Big Sound

Lady Eleanor - Lindisfarna

Those are probably only renominations (I've no clue), but here's mine:

Light My Fire -- The Doors

Living Next Door To Alice -- Smokie

Great choices, Seeker! I didn't know anyone else here was familiar with Smokie. I've been listening to their music since the late 70's (boy, am I old!). I love their stuff. As far as I know, the only North American hit for the group was Stumbling In, a duet by Suzie Quatro and Chris Norman. :thumbsup:

Great nomination CanAm "Lodi". One of my mum's favorites.

My nominations are

1. "Dedicated To The One I Love" Momma's and Pappa's.

2. " Fly Like An Eagle" The Steve Miller Band.

rtstuff

Things got bad and things got worse, I guess you know the rest of the story. Lodi.

a renomination:

No Milk Today ~ Herman's Hermits

Here's an interesting fact about this song. It was written by Graham Gouldman, former member of the Mindbenders and 10cc. Gouldman's songwriting credits are very impressive. Along with the material he wrote for 10cc, he wrote or co-wrote For Your Love and Heart Full Of Soul for the Yardbirds, Bus Stop for the Hollies and the aforementioned No Milk Today. I love 10cc and will start a thread about the band in Music Discussion.

I nominated "No Milk Today" some tops ago but I think it didn t make it. Let's see this time... :shades:

Isn't It A Pity - George Harrison

No Matter What - Badfinger

Lodi - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Downtown - Petula Clark

:bow: :bow:

Laurie should come and see how Badfinger can make it...