what is the greatest emo band of all-time?

Well, I wouldn't have had At The Drive In down as "emo" myself, but then I confess I know next to nothing about the genre. The last time I knowingly listened to something described to me as "emo" it was 7 Seconds back in the 1985...

Unless you count Fugazi as "emo", then not only have I listened to quite a bit of "emo" but I also vote Fugazi as "the best!". However, to me it's a total nonsense of a genre....

according to wikipedia , Fugazi are part of the first wave emo. most of the bands that were mentioned to describe what emo music is are part of the third wave of emo. as with all these things, the music evolves considerable from one wave to the next

Link

Ta for the link, Invis. Interesting reading.

I can't help thinking the above should read "deteriorates considerably from one wave to the next..."

Many of the cities I grew up in had quite a few of local bands that were part of the revolutionary-flop that is Emo.

Jimmy-Eat-World, Funeral for a Friend, The Used, and the bands listed by daslied. Does A.F.I. & My Chemical Romance count as emo ???

Fugazi were more of the originators of the genre, but with solid performance unlike the rest, who are nothing more than weakened power-chord tabbing followers. Most of the people I hang around can play better guitar / drums than these guys.

Emo music's been starting to get on my nerves recently, but there's some good stuff every now and then. I've enjoyed some of Jimmy Eat World's stuff, and I own Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard.

Personally, I think it's one of the lazier genres of music. I wouldn't mind it as much if some of the bands learned how to sing or write lyrics that didn't just rhyme "night" with "all right", etc.

Edited by Guest

Codswallop!

No offence, Invisible: I just fancied saying "Codswallop!" (Great word!)

Well, if Husker Du are to be considered "emo" then that changes everything, doesn't it? They get the nod over Fugazi, for me.

But wait a minute, do Husker Du really qualify? I'm disinclined to re-read the Wikipaedia stuff on emo just now, but I would think at most Husker Du would be mentioned only as being "an influence", in the same way as The Jam / The Kinks influenced the 90s phenomenon "BritPop". I was into Husker Du throughout most of the 80s until they split, and a regular reader of "Maximum Rock'n'Roll" (international punk/hardcore monthly magazine featuring global "scene-reports") and I don't recall them ever being described as "emo" or being part of that scene. Sure, they could be intense, "angsty", and emotional, but......I dunno. In Wikipaedia, Guy Picciotto (Rites Of Spring / Fugazi) denies the relevance of the emo tag to all those DC bands now labelled as "emo", pointing out that they just considered themselves punk-rock bands, and that "being emotional" in a punk-rock context was really not such a novelty (citing Bad Brains as an example).

I recall a few of those other bands mentioned: Fire Party (saw them "live", v.good), Dag Nasty (had an album of theirs), Shudder To Think (my band opened for them in Derby). All good stuff...Any "emo" between the three of them? Not a sausage.