Great old arcade games

Kevin

Having recently been in an arcade I was dismayed to find that there were few , if any , games that I could manage to play with any success ( too many buttons- and speed required ) , and mainly , they were man-to-man fighting centered in theme , as in Kung -Fu or the like ... Any one recall great arcade games they enjoyed ?

For myself :

The Wizard of Wor : Travel around in a maze firing at fantasy monsters and the inevitable wizards who dis appered and moved like hell !

Joust : Pretty straightforward , joust with armoured knights who rode eagles ( or some bird ) trying to hit them higher than they hit you .

Boot Hill : Rudimentary graphics , where you shot it out with another cowboy ( cactus blocks ) and most kills in a time limit won .

Star Trek : The Next Generation Pinball : While not a fan of the show , the voices and ' missions ' one could encounter on this gem were fantastic !

Defender : Protect your people on the ground from being abducted by aliens -lots of special screens for success !

Recently I found a case containing my old Atari 2600 collection from when I was young. Joust & Defender, they were two of the games that used to consume my time during the mid 80's, along with Yar's Revenge, Othello, Warlocks, Q-Bert, Frogger, & the original Donkey Kong.

E.T., Indiana Jones, & Gopher had to be, IMO the worst. They had no point or goal tied in, it was just moving along over & over again. The same for a lot of Commodore 64 titles.

Favorite Old Arcade Games

Adventure

Ms. Pacman

Star Wars Jedi Pinball

Battle Zone [sp?]

Tempest

Galaga

Pong & Space Invaders were the first two games I remember playing.

Play 1980's Games online for Free

:laughing: though a slight pain in the butt , it was satisfying to complete a game of Atari's 'Adventure ' or ' Indiana Jones ' ! :thumbsup: :afro:

'Battle Zone ' rocked : blew me away with it's 360 degree sense - ever play ' Red Baron ' ? Same stuff with aircraft and flack instead ?

I think I recall a game called Red Baron, it's hard to remember these games, since it was nearly 2 decades ago. All of the arcades I went to, have closed down since, I still play Pinball at the Laundry-Maut whenever I get the chance.

Other Arcade games that were great.

----------------------------

Rambo

Shinobi

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The Simpsons

"A Kaboom! copycat, Eggomania features a nicely animated, amusingly rendered chicken dancing across the top of the screen while dropping eggs. Players maneuver an ugly blue bear back and forth along the lower portion of the playfield, trying to catch the eggs in its hat. Missing eggs causes the yolk level, which can eventually cover up the bear entirely, to rise. Catching an entire wave of eggs gives the bear a chance to lower the yolk level by hitting the chicken with an egg. In terms of Kaboom! clones, Eggomania is much better than Apollo's Lost Luggage, but it's not as rhythmic, addictive or as intense as its progenitor. Paddle control is similarly excellent, but catching the slow-moving eggs in a hat is less versatile and less engaging than catching the progressively faster bombs of Kaboom! in buckets of water. On the plus side, musical accompaniment and giving the bear a chance to fire back are nice additions to the formula. ~ Brett Alan Weiss, All Game Guide"

http://www.answers.com/topic/eggomania

I had played PONG at parties in the mid-70's, but did not develope an interest in video games until 1981, when I played Battle Zone (that's the futuristic tank program, right?) for the first time at an airport lounge. I eventually became a devotee to Omega Race. I became quite good at it and at one time (perhaps to this day, I don't know) held the world record of 2.6 million score on that particular game. Beyond that point, Being a golfer, sought the best golf video games to play in winter. Lee Trevino Golf was probably the best. The last games I ever played were Joust and Burger Time and then just lost interest. Now I play online poker against people from all over the world, late at night sometimes. I play the "play money" version and am attempting to "bank" a million dollars. I think it is the goal achievement aspect of these games that add to their appeal.

But it is great to see that that ' deaf , dunb and blind kid " still loves his pinball

Yeah Kev, I'm as blind as a bat, deaf as a leopard, & dumb as a mule. :laughing: My only musical interpretion is the Pulse-throbbing Braisle version of the Beatles - White Album for the hearing impaired. :(--

I remember stuffing enough quarters into the Tetris machine to wipe out the debt of Zimbabwe. Eyes as big as dinner plates, a heartrate somewhere in the upper stratosphere and trembling like a heroin junkie.

Ahhh, the good old days....

I remember stuffing enough quarters into the Tetris machine to wipe out the debt of Zimbabwe. Eyes as big as dinner plates, a heartrate somewhere in the upper stratosphere and trembling like a heroin junkie.

Ahhh, the good old days....

:laughing: :laughing: Ken, that's the funniest thing you've posted, that I read, since that one comment about "Marijuana, only tried it once, but man those were the best damn oreo's I ever had!" :laughing: :laughing:

Anyhoo... back on track ... I remember playing this Tetris game on Christmas '88 & being completely amazed & astounded by the mini-4 bit graphics on a home handheld, known as the defunct GameBoy. It was a step up from the usual Mario/Duck Hunt.

Never could figure out how to get the ape past those damn powder kegs.

You have to hit the button for double~jump ; & he flips over, if I'm thinking the right part

sorry it seems weird giving gamer tips on song facts, I usually do this at a different site for gamefreaks