Where Did The Concept Of Having 2 Drummers Originate?

DoctorOfSpin

I would imagine that the origins are in Africa somewhere ... ;)

Adam Ant : Whoa ! :laughing: I feel a little unstable ... now; just WHERE are they today, I wonder ? ( trying to picture Mark , the fan , with a pony-tail and 18th century duds ) :)

Didn't Adam Ant use two drummers, too?

Indeed: Chris "Merrick" Hughes and Terry Lee Miall. To excellent effect too.

For this incarnation of Adam & The Ants (the successful/famous one), Adam & Marco boldly attempted to merge the tribal percussion of The Burundi Drummers with the glam-stomp of The Glitter Band (who also boasted two drummers). Result: the definitive pop-perfection of "Kings Of The Wild Frontier", "Dog Eat Dog", "Antmusic", etc.

In fact, "Kings Of The Wild Frontier"....WHAT AN ALBUM!

Of course it wasn't too long before things went down the pan...

Pink Floyd also uses two drummers on most tours. Though, the second guy is really a "percussionist" playing many things that aren't drums per se. Also, Genesis used to tour with a guy named Chester to back up Phil when he wanted to walk about and sing. They would do a drum duet at one point that was killer.

An amusing side note, one time John Bonham said he wanted to get a dual kick drum setup for his kit. Peter Green, their manager, laughed and said no.. He said "you already do more with one kick drum than anybody else can do with two."

Without wanting to sound pernikity...Peter Green was the guitarist with Fleetwood Mac....Peter Grant was the manager of Led Zep...damn....I sound pernikity.

For one thing, it's persnikity. ;)

For another, I'm glad you corrected me, I'd rather be using the right name! It's been a while since I tried to dredge Grant's name out of the old memory banks, so I'm not surprised I messed it up. :D

Without wanting to sound pernikity...Peter Green was the guitarist with Fleetwood Mac....Peter Grant was the manager of Led Zep...damn....I sound pernikity.

Fleetwood Mac originated from the Bluesbreakers, which was Fleetwood, John McVie, & Eric Clapton. A few years later John Green replaced Clapton & the band renamed after the drummer.