The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 18

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Masquarade - George Benson The only song to ever hold number one chart positions in the Billboard Top 40 Pop, R&B and Jazz charts - simultaneously. This is also a nod to this masterpiece's writer, who will probably never make our top ten with his voice, the extremely well-respected Leon Russell.

Ron!! I cannot believe, outright plagerism from you of all people! Stealing my song away... :grin: (See the jeopardy game thread)

I guess as long as it's there, you've got my vote! ;) I've scrambled for a new one...

Black Water ~ The Doobie Brothers

Dream A Little Dream ~ Cass Elliott

1. San Francisco(Be Sure To Put Some Flowers In Your Hair) Scott McKenzie. The summer of love 1967.

2. Live and Let Die. Paul McCartney and Wings. From the Bond flick of the same name. I really like the video with all of the pyrotechnics.

rtstuff

"If your going to San Francisco you will find some gentle people there". Scott Mckenzie. Don't tell Harry Callahan aka "Dirty Harry" about all of the gentle people.

Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin

Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland. I've wanted to nominate this song for some time, but I thought it might be ruled ineligible because of its age. When Jenny brilliantly nominated Unforgettable during the last round, I decided that Over The Rainbow should pass muster.

This song never fails to bring a tear to my eye and if ever anybody "owned" a song, it is Judy and this marvelous tune. I can't imagine anybody else doing it justice.

This Masquarade - George Benson The only song to ever hold number one chart positions in the Billboard Top 40 Pop, R&B and Jazz charts - simultaneously. This is also a nod to this masterpiece's writer, who will probably never make our top ten with his voice, the extremely well-respected Leon Russell.

S2V,

The song "This Masquerade" didn't achieve that honor. It wasn't a #1 hit. It did peak at #10 on the Billboard Pop Charts, though, which is still very good.

It was George Benson's album Breezin'(from which that song is from) that accomplished the feat that you mention above.

Some great songs nominated, including SIX from my LISTA:

Crocodile Rock

Lay Down Sally

San Francisco

Live And Let Die

Chain Of Fools

Nobody Does It Better *

I'll cross them off my LISTA. Now I'll have to work out what order to put them in. I'd usually give whichever 2 I nominated 10 and 9 Points. Gee, I hope I don't have to leave any out of my Ten with more to come yet !

* Only one version allowed Das. ;)

HERE'S THE NOMINATIONS TO DATE (50).

53rd & 3rd - The Ramones

Alive - Pearl Jam

Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz

Back In The Saddle - Aerosmith

Bad Day - Daniel Powter

Bad Day - Fuel

Beck's Bolero - Jeff Beck

Black Water - The Doobie Brothers

Blackberry Way - The Move

Brick House - Commodores

Beautiful Disaster - Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers

Can't You See - The Marshall Tucker Band

Cast Your Fate to the Wind - Vince Guaraldi Trio

Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin

Come Undone - Duran Duran

Crocodile Rock - Elton John

Do You Love Me - Brian Poole And The Tremeloes

Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand

Do You Want To Know A Secret - Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas

Dream A Little Dream Of Me - Mama Cass with The Mamas & The Papas

Eli's Coming - Three Dog Night

Girly - The Refreshments

Hey There Lonely Girl - Eddie Holman

Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie And The Banshees

Just A Little - The Beau Brummels

Kids Are Alright, The - The Who

Late In The Evening - Paul Simon

Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton

Live And Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings

Love Ballad - L.T.D.

Lucky Number - Lene Lovich

Mainstreet - Bob Seger

Mellow Yellow - Donovan

Mercedes Benz - Janis Joplin

Mr.Tambourine Man - The Byrds

Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon

Picture Book - The Kinks

Raspberry Beret - Prince and The Revolution

Reasons - Earth, Wind & Fire

Runaway - Bonnie Raitt

San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair) - Scott McKenzie

Sexy Ways - Four Tops

Shine A Light - The Rolling Stones

Smokin' In The Boy's Room - Brownsville Station

So Very Hard To Go - Tower of Power

The Rose - Bette Midler

This Masquerade - George Benson

Tired of Being Alone - Al Green

Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane

You Can Leave Your Hat On - Joe Cocker

THANKS TO ALL WHO'VE NOMINATED SO FAR.

PLEASE SEE SPECIAL NOTICE A FEW POSTS FURTHER ON REGARDING NOMINATION OF "OVER THE RAINBOW".

:P

Oh man. It's going to be impossible this time around.

Ron, This Masquerade is awesome. Frank Sinatra once said of Benson's performance something to the effect that it is the best sung song he'd ever heard.

April, Tower of Power's So Very hard To Go just knocks my socks off.

Then there's Black Water, Can't You See, Mama Cass....oy!

Eddie Holman, The Beau Brummels....anyway, you people are making this mui difficult.

BluesBoy...Guaraldi's Cast Your Fate To The Wind was my introduction to his music. I have a great collection of his music. He died way too young.

Love that song.

As for my 2 nominations I'm going with:

1-Eli's Coming - Three Dog Night (this one didn't make it before but I feel it deserves another shot. It's for you, the sweet, departed Laura Nyro.

2-Sexy Ways - The Four Tops (Most of you have probably never heard this song but you should. The man (Levi Stubbs) tells exactly what he misses about his lost love).

Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland. I've wanted to nominate this song for some time, but I thought it might be ruled ineligible because of its age. When Jenny brilliantly nominated Unforgettable during the last round, I decided that Over The Rainbow should pass muster.

Judo will vote for Judy Garland.