List 25

Elvish

I know there's a constant Greatest Hits debate running, but I have to nominate this one.

e27950dx0vo.jpg

Black Gold: The Best of Soul Asylum

1. Just Like Anyone 2:47

2. Cartoon 3:53

3. Closer to the Stars 3:52

Live

4. Somebody to Shove 3:15

5. Close 4:34

6. String of Pearls 4:52

7. Tied to the Tracks 2:43

8. Runaway Train 4:27

9. Sometime to Return 3:30

10. Misery 4:26

11. We 3 4:08

12. Without a Trace 3:40

13. I Will Still Be Laughing 3:45

14. Black Gold 3:56

15. Summer of Drugs 4:06

16. Candy from a Stranger 4:16

17. Stranger 4:07

Live

18. Can't Even Tell 3:14

19. Lonely for You 4:09

Soul Asylum is best known for the song "Runaway Train" the video featured pictures of children who had gone missing and actually helped reunite three of them with their families. But The band is no one hit wonder. The disc features live acoustic performances of the songs "Closer to the Stars' and 'Stranger.' It contains their other well-known hit - the cynical 'I will still be laughing.' 'Summer of Drugs' was played for a benefit album - Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams. The song Black Gold itself is more carefree and the lyrics can carry you away. Songs like 'Without a Trace', 'Tied to the Tracks' and 'Cartoon' are easy to listen to. 'String of Pearls' is a fascinating roundabout story with a glitch (intentional?). 'Misery', 'Lonely for you' and 'Candy from a Stranger' are my favourites. 'Candy from a Stranger' is a rarity and was released only as a promo. It is not on the actual album 'Candy from a Stranger.'

I can't say much more about the album except that buying it was one of the best decisions I've ever made, given that at that time, I didn't know much about Soul Asylum. :)

c26452g73j84cm.jpg

1. "Devils Haircut" - 3:13

2. "Hotwax" - 3:49

3. "Lord Only Knows"- 4:14

4. "The New Pollution" - 3:40

5. "Derelict" - 4:13

6. "Novacane" - 4:38

7. "Jack-ass" - 4:01

8. "Where It's At" - 5:30

9. "Minus" - 2:31

10. "Sissyneck" - 3:53

11. "Readymade" - 2:37

12. "High 5 (Rock the Catskills)" - 4:10

13. "Ramshackle" - 7:30

14. "Discobox" - 3:35

I once heard that Beck is the "best recycler in the music business".

Since this is meant as a compliment, I fully agree with it.

On Odelay he mixes every music style you just can think of. Rock & Roll, Folk, Blues, Hip-Hop, Funk, Easy Listening, Jazz, Country. You name it...

But it's not just between the songs, e.g. "Novacane" starts with funk, then slams into White Noise to Indie Rock and back. Just incredible

Most famous songs are probably "Devil's Haircut" "The New Pollution" and "Where it's at", but I really just can recommend every single one.

A must-have in every 90's collection, imho :cool:

Samples on Amazon

from list 24

muse "showbiz"

a great band with an amazingly talented frontman! "showbiz" is the debut muse album, and in my opion, their best. very emotional, quite angry at times, with hints of radiohead in both his voice as well as some of their themes, but a lot heavier. "muscle museum" is one of my favourite songs of all times, some some of the greatest lyrics ever ("can you see that I am needing, begging for so much more than you could ever give. I don't want you to adore me, don't want you to ignore me when it pleases you. I can do it on my own!)

other than "muscle museum", i can't really identify any specific good songs, because they are all sooo good! an album that you can listen to from beggining to end without skipping one song!

I don't know if I'm allowed to vote or not, but I would nominate

"Creedence Clearwater Revival's 1969 release "Willy & the Poor Boys"

CCR-willy_n_the_poor_boys.jpg

1 Down on the Corner Fogerty 2:47

2 It Came Out of the Sky Fogerty 2:56

3 Cotton Fields Leadbelly 2:54

4 Poorboy Shuffle Fogerty 2:27

5 Feelin' Blue Fogerty 5:05

6 Fortunate Son Fogerty 2:21

7 Don't Look Now Fogerty 2:12

8 The Midnight Special Traditional 4:14

9 Side O' the Road Fogerty 3:26

10 Effigy Fogerty 6:31

This album made this short-lived classic a household name with relatable sound, all across America.

Rock Music was just shaping it's true mold during this era, when it was at it's unforgettable prime,

with only a few American rock bands hitting it big at the time (Doors, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, etc.)

due to the industry’s failure to compare alongside the British stardom stampede of legendary talent.

I nominate The White Stripes: White Blood Cells

1. Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground

2. Hotel Yorba

3. I'm Finding It Harder To Be A Gentleman

4. Fell In Love With A Girl

5. Expecting

6. Little Room

7. The Union Forever

8. The Same Boy You've Always Known

9. We're Going To Be Friends

10. Offend In Every Way

11. I Think I Smell A Rat

12. Aluminum

13. I Can't Wait

14. Now Mary

15. I Can Learn

16. This Protector

Almost every song on this album is a classic, from the high energy 'Fell in love with a girl' to the quirky 'Hotel Yorba.'

I would like to nominate Roger again. But I won't :grin:

I'll nominate Stevie Nicks this time for her maiden solo effort: Bella Donna

This album was what caused Rolling Stone Magazine to name her Rock and Roll's Reigning Queen in 1981. It sold umpteen-million copies, and had several Top 10 hits.

And she did it while simultaneously maintaining membership in one of rock's bonafide supergroups: Fleetwood Mac. The tour for Bella Donna was very short, because she had to get back in the studio to record another album with Fleetwood Mac.

She has said that she can easily "get lost" in the mystical, and her lyrics definitely reflect that. She has a lyrical beauty that none have ever matched, and her style and voice are all her own.

'Nuff said. :)

I have a quick question for the post up above, 1981's "Bella Donna" did that album feature duets with Tom Petty & Don Henley? The songs I believe were called "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" & "Leather & Lace"; was just curious if these were cuts from this particular album, as I'm pretty sure 17 is one of the featured radio tracks.

I'm pretty sure 17 is one of the featured radio tracks.

you mean "Edge of Seventeen"? That was the most popular off this album. And yes, "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" was the one of Stevie's duets with Tom Petty (she had others as well on different albums) and "Leather and Lace" was with Don Henley. She wrote that one in response to a request from Waylon Jennings to write a song that he could record and present to his wife, Jessi Colter. That never transpired and Stevie kept the song and put it on her album instead.

I just ordered this so I haven't heard it yet:

Billy Joel - 12 Gardens Live (double)

B000FJAA0G.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V6539999

Disc: 1

1. Angry Young man

2. My Life

3. Everybody Loves You Now

4. Billy the Kid

5. The Entertainer

6. Vienna

7. New York State of Mind

8. The Night is Still young

9. Zanzibar

10. Miami 2017

11. The Great Wall of China

12. Allentown

13. She's Right on Time

14. Don't Ask Me Why

15. Laura

Disc: 2

1. Goodnight Saigon

2. Movin Out

3. An Innocent man

4. The Downeaster Alexa

5. Always a Woman

6. Keeping the Faith

7. River of Dreams

8. A Matter of Trust

9. We Didn't Start the Fire

10. Big Shot

11. You May Be Right

12. Only the Good Die Young

13. Scenes From an Italian Restaurant

14. Piano Man

15. And So it Goes

But it's almost 2.5 hours of the best Billy Joel live, it doesn't get any better than this! (though I wish he hadn't quit playing Just The Way You Are). The price is great too: just $8.88 on Amazon! (I won't provide a link so you won't think I'm spamming you, go and find it if interested).