Most Inspiring

Sweet Jane 61

CNN released the top 10 most inspiring movies of all time....do you agree, have some to add??

1. "It's a Wonderful Life," 1946

2. "To Kill a Mockingbird," 1962

3. "Schindler's List," 1993

4. "Rocky," 1976

5. "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," 1939

6. "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," 1982

7. "The Grapes of Wrath," 1940

8. "Breaking Away," 1979

9. "Miracle on 34th Street," 1947

10. "Saving Private Ryan," 1998

I would add "Mr Holland's Opus" off the top of my head, will have to think on this one.

"Mr. Holland's Opus" is an interesting film, but (judging from fallout from "No Child Left Behind" and bond issues) most tax payers don't think The Arts are THAT important. The Arts are THAT important, of course, but take a back seat to Globalization and other threats to the nation. (I also wasn't exactly impressed by "Glen Holland's 'American Symphony.") Aaron Copland's "Lincoln Portrait" and "Appalachian Spring" struck the National Unity chord when most needed during World War II without all the sound and fury.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the Grapes of Wrath was rated too high. I mean what is inspiring about that film. It is a down right depressing in my book. I think the Shawshank Redemption should be in the top five in my opinon.

I set up that night and watched the entire show. I agreed with most of them, but some I would have rated higher and some lower. I can't remember where "The Bridge On The River Kwi" was rated, but I do know it should have been higher.

rtstuff

"Cut Me Mick" Rocky Balboa.

Most of these films CNN picked, only inspired me to eject the VHS tape & return to the Video Rental.

Saving Private Ryan is, IMO overated & not ready for an all-time top 10 list, too much gore & not enough focus on ambitious plot. I could think of a few "WWII" classic themed films that were much better at portraying the issues behing the curtain, without the derogatory twist.

This list was accurate with it's classics that were featured, for the movies that were released during the past 25 years, they really aren't the greatest that have been offered. Forrest Gump & Casablanca were more deserving, just an opinionated view though.

I can't say I felt remotely inspired after E.T...

Same here, Gremlins left me with an emotional patch though.

• 2 months later...

*stepping away slowly and not making eye contact...*

I immediately got this graemlin in my mind:

walk.gif

Inspirational movies, inspirational movies. Definitely agree on Breaking Away. Here are some of mine:

The Breakfast Club

Clerks.

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Gregory's Girl

Pump Up The Volume

Real Genius (movie inspired me to go to uni)

Rock 'N Roll High School

This Is Spinal Tap

Wayne's World

Weird Science