The Late Show

Lucky

I'm not a big TV watcher. I do however watch a lot of movies. Or did. As an only child, with lots of time on her hands, I spent hours watching the Early Show, The Late Show, The Late Late Show, all the old movies and actors. Many of these had an effect on me or some type of impact, that I still get today, if I see that movie. As a child it was The Wizard Of Oz, National Velvet, and Lilies Of The Field. Pride of the Yankees, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, and The Defiant Ones came later. There are many more but I'm interested in what others have felt impacted by, or have strong feelings for about. Movies or actors you will always stop and watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Turner Classic Movies is 24/7, so that's where I go to check out "movies you haven't seen yet." A partial list:

"The Shop Around The Corner"

"Sunset Boulevard"

"The Gunfighter"

"To Be Or Not To Be" (Jack Benny original)

"Double Indemnity"

"White Heat"

"Get On The Bus"

"Superfly" (Richard Roundtree's "Shaft" was better)

"Meet Me In St. Louis"

"Stalker"

"The Lost Weekend" :beatnik:

Although I wasn't an only child, Cee Cee, I grew up in a place where the winters were LONG and often very cold. When we weren't playing shinny (street hockey) or sledding, we spent many weekends at the movie theatres watching 2 for 1 movies. We used to watch all the Hammer horror films, the Three Stooges, the Vincent Price/Roger Corman horror flicks and believe it or not many Alfred Hitchcock films.

I love old movies, particularly any with Cary Grant (my favourite actor), Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart, Spencer Tracy, Myrna Loy or Katherine Hepburn.

The first movie that moved me to tears (other than Old Yeller when I was 5 years old) was Doctor Zhivago. The scene where Zhivago chases the streetcar carrying Lara and collapses and dies in the street without her ever seeing him, is heartbreaking.

The first movie that scared me to death, was Psycho. By today's standards, the violence was minimal but Hitchcock was a master of using music and unusual lighting and camera angles to create tension and suspense.

I don't watch much late night television, but I used to enjoy watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. His monologue was usually very funny.

Cee Cee Rider, sorry I misinterpreted the topic of your thread.

Top 3 Favorite Classic Cinema Films...

- Ninotchka (Garbo: Soviet film involving pre cold-war politics with allegences by the former U.S.S.R. ; & Vladimir Lenin's strategic hand at foot)

- Maltese Falcon

- Citizen Kane

Audrey Hepburn & Humphrey Bogart are probably my favorite actors; from the 1920's - 40's film era.