The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 16

Great job again guys! Thanks for your hard work. I personally think nominations should be left to the individuals choice. The rules were stated, no songs from the regular daily or weekly top tens. Other than that, if a song gets the votes, who cares?

Saying that, I am tickled that Percy Sledge got in there. That was a replacement nomination of mine, and I had just heard it on the radio....I've got a very scientific way of nominating. ;)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most of us are nominating songs we love, not really a big hit, but songs that mean something to the person nominating them. And the mix we get with all of us is very interesting and you may see a song you don't know and check it out, so it gives us exposure to songs we don't know also. Yes it can be a bummer not to see your nomination in the Top 10, but so what, you nominate for the next one and move on. Let's keep this fun and not over analyze it.

I agree with you CeeCee, of course everybody has a free choice as to what song to nominate (unless they are in the Daily or Weekly Top Ten).

But as Katie said, this isn't a competition. I use it to see what other people think of the songs I like or love. I don't have the need to nominate "Yesterday" or "Wish You Were Here", because I already know, that a great bunch of you like the songs, and would vote highly for them...

On another note, normally I would post the whole list with the votes here, but I was fast ( ;) ) and already posted them in the

Top Ten Archive

so have a look there...

:)

Old 55 and Farin, congratulations on the great job you guys are doing.

As lists go #16 is probably my least favorite. But I like most of the songs. For some reason Wonderful World never was a favorite of mine, though I love several other Louie Armstrong songs.

Edited by Guest
Minor spelling mishap....oh, and to see if Farin is paying attention.

Both of my nominations missed by a vote or two... WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!!

Oh sorry, nice job everybody!!

Yes, how comes Patti Smith's "Gloria" didn't make the Top Ten weeks ago???? :doh:

:laughing: :laughing:

Thank you, OleFif, Farin and Judo!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (though Judo should go on another thread, but anyways...)

Older songs make the list more often because they are more well-known, more popular, and (forgive me), more Sfer's are familiar with them than with the newer songs. So unless a recent song is really, really well known...it is unlikely to make the list.

People will nominate songs they like, of course, but even so, for the purposes of practicality, the song has to be KNOWN widely enough. I'm pretty sure that if I nominated some vague Kula Shaker song it would not garner many votes besides my own.

It's just a probability curve. That's all.

Older songs make the list more often because they are more well-known, more popular, and (forgive me), more Sfer's are familiar with them than with the newer songs. So unless a recent song is really, really well known...it is unlikely to make the list.

People will nominate songs they like, of course, but even so, for the purposes of practicality, the song has to be KNOWN widely enough. I'm pretty sure that if I nominated some vague Kula Shaker song it would not garner many votes besides my own.

It's just a probability curve. That's all.

I know, I pointed that out a while ago, but I guess there's nothing you can do. This is why I keep insisting on newer nominations rater than older songs

Several people have expressed frustration with the tendency of many of us to nominate and vote for only songs from the 60's and 70's. I grew up in the 70's and consequently, most of the songs I love and which have meaning for me are the songs I grew up listening to. In fairness, I have tried to listen to most of the more recent songs nominated by our younger members. In all honesty, I just don't like most of them. I will continue to try to keep an open mind regarding more recent tunes, but I'm not going to vote for something I don't like. Although I would not presume to speak for other people, I suspect this may be true for some others also.

Well it appears to me that most of are happy with the Top Ten in it's present form. So...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'd like to suggest that we leave all artists who have already made #1 out of our nominations for one Top Ten though. And that's all it is, a suggestion.

Finally, I apologise to the person who sent me the PT if this has caused him/her any hurt. That certainly wasn't my intention and I hope you don't feel I violated your trust. Thanks also for your kind words giving support to the concept of the Top Ten.

AND HOW ABOUT THAT FARIN ! HE'S DOING A GREAT JOB.

:thumbsup:

Better start up #17 soon Mate. You've got the Archive up to date for #16, Katie doesn't need any new Song Facts, the 'Worst Songs Top Ten' is finished....we have nothing to do ! I wanna nominate.

:)

Satchmo is smiling right now. :grin:

As far as nominating songs, I just nominate songs I like and if you don't like them, you can kiss my @%#.

I apologize for my random outbreak of anger, my medication has not started working yet. }:|

I agree with RonJon the fun is in the process and seeing all of the varied genre of songs. As I said earlier I can only vote for those songs that I have heard. I really don't listen to much of the newer stuff which I'm sure has some pretty good tunes. The older tunes I nominate have a meaning to me in some way. They bring back mostly good times. Although a few remind me of sad or tough times in my life. A lot of those tunes, but not all were "mega" hits. I feel as though growing up in the 60's I was able to be around for what I would consider the "Golden" Age of rock.

By the way I would like to again congratulate OLD 55 for his efforts, and Farin, my lad, you are doing a fine job also. Lord knows this task must occupy a large chunk of your time.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to another FUN Top Ten.

rtstuff

"You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave." Hotel California

I have to admit, when I first nominated songs, since one of my nominations was probably a little too new and obscure (Save Me by Shinedown), I thought "Man, I just don't connect with these geezers." :laughing:

(No offense, you old fogeys. :P)

This time, I did try to go for songs that had a broader appeal--or at least they were in common knowledge--but they're still some favorite songs of mine. Next time, I plan to nominate one of my favorite band's songs, even though I doubt anyone here will have heard it.

Thanks all for your support and kind words !

Farin is now taking Nominations for Top Ten #17.

We'll close this thread with a recap of the Current Top Ten. :)

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten #16 for Period ending 20th June 2006

1. Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival (1970)

2. Kashmir - Led Zeppelin (1975)

3. When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge (1966)

4. Heart Of Glass - Blondie (1978)

5. What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong (1968)

6. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty (1978)

7. Stuck In The Middle With You - Stealers Wheel (1973)

8. Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac (1975)

9. What'd I Say - Ray Charles (1959)

10.Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers (1991)