FIFA World Cup 2006

Farin

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I miss Brazil :( I like France too, but I just wanted at least one South American team in the finals.

Yesterday's matches were utterly dull... I had hoped for some esxcitement from Brazil-France but there wasn't much...I switched over to watch the delayed telecast of Agassi-Nadal (stupid people didn't show it live I am so grrr-ed with them!) and when I switched back the one and only goal had just been scored. I watched a bit more and then went back to Wimbledon.

s2v, I know you are not brazilian but you might be able to answer my question. Yesterday I realised that most , if not all brazilian players, play with their first name rather than their surname as is common in most other countries. anyway, I was wondering why that is.

and congrats to france and portugal, I was very pleased to see france win

s2v, I know you are not brazilian but you might be able to answer my question. Yesterday I realised that most , if not all brazilian players, play with their first name rather than their surname as is common in most other countries. anyway, I was wondering why that is.

In Brazil, the first name is the preferred name of identity. With the exception of official populous related items such as phone books and voting lists, all Brazilians are referred to by the first name. My grocer is Senor Durval (that being his first name), my barber is Senor Chico, I am Senor Ron (... or "Hon," because people have trouble with hard "R"s here.) My wife is Dona (meaning the lady of the house) Diana. I think it has to do with the overt recognition of individual potential as opposed to familial classification.

Rachel, this struck me as different too, when soon after arriving here, I saw a war statue with a list of the names of townsmen who lost their lives in that war on a bronze plaque at the base; the list was in alphabetical order by first name.

Brazzil. Portugal. Well, at least they speak the same language...almost like England/USA.

The key word being almost. When my son in law gets going, specially if he's speaking to another Englishman, I get about every third word. :crazy: I wish England had won. }:(

so no, edna, you're not right :neener: :grin:

:laughing: After all, it´s obvious that football/soccer isn´t my passion... but I was only half-wrong cause France will be winning on Wednesday... :cool: Then we still have to fight for the Cup... and I hope it won´t be France-Germany :P

There is talk here of a "fix" being in place that led to Brazil losing to France. Video emails are being circulated that certainly add credibility to the assertion that when France scored their only point off an (not sure of the term) inbound pass after a fault, several of the Brazilian defenders made little effort to stop the French from charging to the goal. In fact, the defender whose man scored the goal was clearly 15 meters up field from the man he was responsible to defend. This makes for interesting debate in Brazil. There's talk of money from Nike of France and such conspiracy. 1919 Black Sox scandal-type talk. Very unhappy campers here.

It´s unfair, Brazil and Argentina :bow: should have won.

Anyways, sorry, Farin... I´m glad Italy won and it was a very good match... they won in the thee last seconds!! but I didn´t like the idea of a final match France-Germany...

Bravo, bravissimo!!!

Phil, looks like the Hoff curse worked... :shades:

Are you suggesting that Italy didn't deserve to win??!

I enjoyed the game as a neutral observer: if anything I fancied Germany to win, as Italy had looked distinctly unimpressive earlier in the competition. Last night's match was excellent to watch and deserved to be settled with a goal from normal play rather than a penalty shoot-out. I suspect most neutral observers would agree that Italy were slightly the better side over the course of the game, even before their last-minute winning goals. Sure it was disappointing for an impressive youthful German team, but I think the result was fair and a better advertisement for football than another bout of "Penalty Prize" would have been.

(Also, full marks to the referee for one of the tournament's best refereeing performances)

I stayed up till 3 am to watch the match. Italia! Italia! I'm rooting for them to win, after Portugal. It was good to see a match like this after the yawn-inducing ones prior. (Except for the penalty parts which were cold-sweat inducing)