FIFA World Cup 2006

Farin

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all over for the Americans as they fell 2-1 to Ghana.

Looks like the US is a real Ghana from the World Cup… ;)

Well, you cannot have it all... I believe many people from Ghana would just love to be American and lose the World Cup...

;)

I agree phil. I was honestly rooting for Togo, always for the underdog. You see some of the people, and you just know all their hopes and dreams are pinned to this. Not so for the USA. The only reason ABC is televising any of it is because of the USA being in it. Bet they are done now too.

The four teams I'm rooting for have all made it to the second round, although the Mexicans made it by the skin of their teeth. Spain is looking good and perhaps this will be the year they live up to their enormous potential. England made it comfortably to the second round but they did not look particularly good in doing so. They must play much better and avoid any more injuries if they hope to advance beyond the second round.

I picked Italy to win it all in a soccer pool we have going at work, so I'm relieved to see the Italians have advanced. As usual, however, they did not make things easy for themselves.

I'm disappointed that the Ivory Coast did not advance. They play an entertaining brand of football.

Bring on the second round!!!

And we also saw footballing history...it will be the subject of trivia quizzes for decades...either

Which player was yellow carded THREE times in a match before finally being sent off?...or

Who was the referee who booked a player three times before finally sending him off?

History...and I saw it happen! (well, I've missed most of the other good bits of the World Cup so far...) :)

Well done Aussies! What a nail-biter, eh?

Excellent show by "England's top ref" Graham Poll. As well as thrice yellow-carding Simunic,(duh!) he also failed to give the Aussies two cast-iron penalties (which might arguably have put the result beyond doubt). The rugby tackle on Viduka? Double "duh!". Could also have sent off Tomas, who hand-balled twice in his own area...I doubt Poll will be offered the job of refereeing the final...

Guus Hiddink is a coach of proven quality, so he doesn't really need me to tell him he needs Schwarzer back between the sticks for the Italy match. Tonight's keeper was rubbish; one of the worst I've seen at this level.

Splendid entertainment all round.

After this morning's (morning over here in Australia) poor officiating, I feel I must remind everyone of Australia's bad luck:

Against Japan: Japan's goal was allowed after the goalkeeper was basically tackled.

Against Brazil: Australia were fouled 25 times to Brazil's 9 (and I certainly didn't think the difference was anywhere near that big), and the final whistle was blown about 30 seconds early when Australia had a chance of a goal.

Against Croatia: Croatian defender was not penalised for rugby tackling Viduka in the penalty area, another Croatian defender was not penalised for intentional and obvious handball in the penalty area, Simunic received two yellow cards and wasn't sent off (and was finally red carded - after the game was over).

After all this, we still made the finals. We must be the best team in the world :P .

Wow, that game was pretty much over after 12 minutes. Gut gemachten Deutschland, und viel Glück für die restlichen Finale!

(I bet the above sentence doesn't make any sense - blame the translator. Another website told me to say "Brunnen getanes Deutschland und gutes Glück für den Rest der Endrunden", so I have no idea which one is more accurate. Anyway, what I typed in was "Well done Germany, and good luck for the rest of the finals").

Ihr koennt nach hause gehen, ihr koennt nach hause gehen...ohne sweden fahren wir nach berlin...

Was that right?

I'd get far with that in Germany.

:thumbsup: :bow:

Wow, that game was pretty much over after 12 minutes. Gut gemachten Deutschland, und viel Glück für die restlichen Finale!

(I bet the above sentence doesn't make any sense - blame the translator. Another website told me to say "Brunnen getanes Deutschland und gutes Glück für den Rest der Endrunden", so I have no idea which one is more accurate. Anyway, what I typed in was "Well done Germany, and good luck for the rest of the finals").

:laughing: :laughing:

the first one is very much okay, but I wouldn't use the second website... (eg "Brunnen" is "well" like "fountain")

Today is England vs Ecuador

and Portugal vs Netherlands

Go Ecuador!! ;)

Congratulations, Farin!!! Germany gets better with every game. :coolio:

Alas, my beloved Mexico came tantalizingly close to upsetting Argentina. At least the goal by Maxi Rodriguez that did them in was a thing of beauty.

Now I'm down to England, Spain and Italy. I hope one of them makes it to the final.

Congratulations, Farin!!! Germany gets better with every game. :coolio:

Alas, my beloved Mexico came tantalizingly close to upsetting Argentina. At least the goal by Maxi Rodriguez that did them in was a thing of beauty.

Now I'm down to England, Spain and Italy. I hope one of them makes it to the final.

CanAm, you haven't tipped against my beloved country!?!? :P

Go Socceroos!! Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!

Are you staying up for the match, c_s??

It had to happen. Just when that red card against Italy (admittedly I would have only given a yellow) meant we had a referee who wouldn't give us trouble, Italy were given a penalty with just nine seconds left on the clock. The Italian striker had plenty of time to avoid Neill, but instead decided to run straight into him and hope to get a penalty. He succeeded, and because of that us Aussies were cheated of an exciting extra time/penalties finish.

Oh well. Only one thing for it now.

GO ENGLAND! :rockon: :rockon:

(I was born there).

Edited by Guest