FIFA World Cup 2006

Farin

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go you good thing! Socceroos!! :bow:

That goal scored by the Japanese should have been disallowed, so they were lucky to get even that!

I'm not a huge soccer fan myself, I prefer rugby league and rugby union but I am always pleased to see the Aussies going well in anything. Plus, it's hard not to be swept up in World Cup fever!

Well, just got home from my first Brazilian "Cup" party. The game was boring but the party and fans were great! It was as if everybody else was on the edge of their seat and I was just amazed to see that.

I know it has been said in this thread that those who don't understand American football feel it is just a game where people run into each other and fall down. To one who understands the complexities of that game, soccer seems schoolyard by comparison. I am NOT speaking about the athletes! They are world class and amazing competitors. But the game itself is so lacking in alternative strategic dimensions.

But again ... the party goers and excitement this game generated were worth the 2 hours of watching the cup!

Oh, afterward the TV station ran a poll of phone calls yea or nay, and the majority of Brazilians callers felt the team played poorly, despite winning against a good Croatia team.

I know it has been said in this thread that those who don't understand American football feel it is just a game where people run into each other and fall down. To one who understands the complexities of that game, soccer seems schoolyard by comparison. I am NOT speaking about the athletes! They are world class and amazing competitors. But the game itself is so lacking in alternative strategic dimensions.

But maybe that is the reason, why football/soccer is so popular around the world! Everybody, and I mean everybody, can play it. You don't need to know rules or complex strategies (albeit there are quite a few) or even a great equipment. The only thing you need is a ball (or substitute) and a few friends.

And Brasil really didn't play well. I'm espacially dissapointed in Ronaldo. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play the next game...

Today it's Germany vs Poland :rockon:

Germany 1 - Poland 0 :rockon: :rockon:

with a last minute goal, but they had chances for 3 other goals... but anyway

all together now:

'54, '74, '90, 2006

stimmen wir uns alle ein,

mit dem Herz in der Hand,

und der Leidenschaft im Bein,

werden wir Weltmeister sein!

:happybanana:

Portugal's Ronaldo fast becoming icon for gay fans

THE HAGUE (AFP) - Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo has been anointed the pin-up boy of the World Cup by Dutch gay magazine 'Gay Krant.

It is the second successive major championships that the Manchester United star has won the accolade.

While Ronaldo ended the opening 1-0 win over Angola on the bench shaking his head at coach Luis Felipe Scolari's decision to take him off, his appearance certainly met with the approval of the 3000 readers of the twice-monthly magazine.

They judged the 21-year-old - who was also adjudged the finest male specimen at Euro 2004 - to be 'the most beautiful, the most attractive and the sexiest' player at the showpiece event.

Sweden's Markus Rosenberg took second place in the poll of the sexiest team - otherwise known as the 'FC Hunks' which also was made up of England's Michael Owen and David Beckham and Dutch wing Robin van Persie.

That might make up for his disappointment at being shoved out of the limelight on the pitch by Arjen Robben who fails to make it.

Another Premiership player and an Arsenal team-mate of van Persie's Sweden's Fredrik Ljungberg makes the list as does Brazil match winner Kaka, another goalscorer Fernando Torres of Spain, Liverpool FA Cup winner Jan Kromkamp of the Netherlands and Spanish captain Iker Casillas.

Ronaldo's United team-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy may be set to start against the Ivory Coast on Friday despite a below par performance against Serbia and Montenegro but he only makes the bench here.

Alongside him the Dutch striker finds Nelson Haedo Valdez of Paraguay, Italian icon Francesco Totti and Mexico's Oswaldo Sanchez.

Gay Krant featured the poll and its team of the tournament on the main page of its website alongside a small digest of football speak.

I understand that, I really do.

It's just something that happens. On a normal day Argentina may have won 1:0, but S&M had a bad day, Argentina had a good day and they had the luck to get an early goal. That gave them self confidence, and was hard on the morale for S&M. The rest was a logical consequenze.