FIFA World Cup 2006

Farin

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go with Germany because I love Farin and Poland because I love kielbasa.

That's all the right reasons :rockon: :)

I'll even go with the US team, when they play...

The USA plays on Monday 12 PM EDT against Czech Republic. That should get interesting... :)

Edited by Guest
I want to confuse you more and more

Being as this is the first time I live in a location that has a great deal of interest in the Cup, can anyone explain (in English) the format to the competition? Like; is it a single or double elimination tournament? or points determine the finalists, as in the Olympics? How does this thing work?

Germany won 4:2! :rockon:

Oh, wie ist das schön,

Oh, wie ist das schön,

so was hat die Welt noch nicht gesehn,

so schön, so schön,

Oi, Oi, Oi...

Oh, and Pelé doesn't wear diapers, he just doesn't have a problem with talking about his impotence problems... :grin:

Being as this is the first time I live in a location that has a great deal of interest in the Cup, can anyone explain (in English) the format to the competition? Like; is it a single or double elimination tournament? or points determine the finalists, as in the Olympics? How does this thing work?

It's actually a little bit of both. There are 32 teams in 8 groups (4 each). Each group plays round-robin (so every team has at least 3 matches).

After that the best two teams of each group get into the single elimination stage (e.g. the first of group A plays against second of group B etc.)

then there comes Quarter- and Semi Finals and the Finale of course. The Losers of the Semi Finals play in a third place match.

England-Argentina today... :P I won´t see it but I promise I won´t listen to Phil Collins albums for two years if Argentina wins.

Of course, this doesn´t mean that if they lose I will listen to Phil Collins albums... :cool:

I must be stoned or something... it´s Argentina-Ivory Coast today! :doh: Forget my above statement then... :tongue:

...and England-Paraguay...

Well, in this case I think ivory Coast deserves a little triumph... I won´t go with Argentina this time.

Edited by Guest

I must congratulate Germany on their win. I also feel grateful to the town of Oehring for the way they have welcomed our Australian Soceroos. The only time we've made the final 16 was also in Germany in 1974, but realistically I don't think we can do it this time. Although we did hold the highly ranked Dutch (Netherlands) to a draw in the "friendly" trial game. We have the defending Champions Brazil, Japan and Croatia in our Group. Here's hoping.

:P

Apparently the German public thinks Japan will be the most successful underdogs. Since Australia have Brazil, Japan and Croatia in their pool, that gives us the challenge to prove them wrong. If we can draw 1-1 with Netherlands, we might be able to beat Japan and Croatia. Also, we have beaten Brazil in recent years.

Anyway, GO SOCCEROOS! :) :coolio: :thumbsup: :drummer: :rockon:

Well I'll go with Australia! :)

And there were already some surprises (some even say sensations): First the underdog Ecuador wins 2:0 against Poland (everybody thought Ecuador can only win at home, because they play on 2500m height)

and yesterday World Cup Noob Trinidad & Tobago plays a 0:0 draw against Sweden (who have one of the most powerful/feared attack)

So everything is possible...

Todays matches are:

Serbia & Montenegro vs. Netherlands

Mexico vs. Iran

Angola vs. Portugal

^ Ahem...

Well, in this case I think ivory Coast deserves a little triumph... I won´t go with Argentina this time.

:jester: :shades:

Ivory Coast played very good, but also with a high risk, which resulted in the two goals...

This Group C isn't know as the "Death Group" for nothing...