FIFA World Cup 2006

Farin

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an up-to-date photo of Loren and Bardot were to be posted .... Italy would win.

I totally agree. Plus BB is married to a right wing politician who´s an admirer of Hitler.

Congratulations to the Italian team, who won in penalty kicks.

I was shocked by what Zidane did in the second overtime. I thought he had more class than that. It is not good for the game to see a player with that kind of legacy leave his final game in that way.

Zidane went crazy or had the need to commit suicide or something... what a stupid guy :stars: He has been playing long enough to know he couldn´t do what he did.

So congrats, Italy!!! :):) :bow: :bow:

Congrats Italy!

It's really a shame that such a great player, that Zidane undoubtly is, can't hold his temper back and does so stupid things on his last match in his career. It makes absolutly no difference what that Mattarazi guy said to him, he just should be above things like that...

What mainly sucks about the whole thing is that THAT moment is what will be mainly recalled after a good series of games . It was just ... insane : :stars: A billion watching , likely a camera following him personally ( as a potential hero ) , and a game still in doubt . This will follow him long into retirement - idiot- and so unlike him - had to be a mental breakdown . So much for MVP . ;)

Trust my phone and consequently internet connection to conk out on the day of the semifinals and finals! I've been dying to vent!

First off Congratulations, Italia!! It feels so good to back a winning team. I like Pirlo. Italy really did deserve to win, though it's a pity they had to win off penalties because there goal was a proper goal while France appears to be winning on spot kicks. And I'm also happy for Germany (even though I was rooting for Portugal) because I feel the host team should always do well in a World Cup, but not win (doesn't look nice if the hosts get the trophy).

But even though I love Italy and all that, are you telling me their goalkeeper is the most expensive? What nonsense! If he was on my team I'd immediately sell him and buy Ricardo and make a profit. What a dissapointing bunch of penalty kicks... the only reason Italy won instead of France is because one of their shooters missed the mark... otherwise both goalkeepers were pretty helpless and Mr. Buffon unerringly dove in the wrong direction unlike the Portuguese Ricardo who has me completely stunned AND managed to become the first goalie to stop not one, not two but THREE penalty kicks in the world cup ( and I remember his fingers did brush against the one that made it through). Portugal is my new favourite team... they have great footwork, it's just their aim that needs improvement. They need practice.

Italy absolutely DID deserve to win... though I'd rather it hadn't been through a penalty shootout.

How else are they supposed to win ? Though I'm with you on Portugal - a great team all around .

Farin , I agree that Zidane will be well remembered , but you have to admit he's standing there looking a bit odd right now - you needn't be a good host anymore ;) .

In the whole tournament Portugal was my second favourit team (after Germany of course) with the exception of that Christiano Ronaldo guy, who I simply can't stand...

Here are all the awards of the World Cup:

2006 World Cup Winner: Italy (4th time)

Golden Shoe: Miroslav Klose - Germany (5 goals)

Golden Ball (best player): Zinedine Zidane - France

__Silver Ball: Fabio Cannavaro - Italy

____Bronze Ball: Andrea Pirlo - Italy

Yashin Award (best Goalie): Gianluigi Buffon - Italy

Best Young Player: Lukas Podolski - Germany

FIFA Fair Play Trophy: shared between Brazil and Spain

Most Entertaining Team: Portugal

Edited by Guest
updated

zidane was an absolute disgrace. what he did was outrageous and inexcusable! he left a bad taste for the rest of the game. however, the inquisitive side of me would just love to know what was said to him, even though nothing could excuse his reaction!

i'm glad italy won! i thought cannavaro was one of the best players of the tournament and buffon is a good keeper, despite his poor performance during the penalties. i loved how the italians celebrated - they fought hard to win it, had a lot more passion than the french and when they did the joy was contagious!

however, the inquisitive side of me would just love to know what was said to him, even though nothing could excuse his reaction!

Yep... if football could be won just by insulting players, it wouldn´t be football... :stars: He´s supposed to be payed just to play and not to listen to what others say...

i don't fancy them (although they have beautiful bodies as evidenced in the giorgio armani underwear ad campaign) - i never want to be with someone whose beauty regime takes longer than mine! buffon's eyebrows were a positive work of art, they were so delicately sculpted! yeurch!

:laughing: well how would you call them? "The Guy Who PLayed Bestest Of All Award"? "The One Who Shot The Most Goals Award"? ;)

Well , make them sound cooler by turning some of those old war medals into football trophies perhaps : 'Pour Le Merit ' , 'Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Clusters ' , 'La Legionne L 'Honner '...?

I don't know why everybody's coming out of the woodwork in Portugal's favour, (see "Person I'd Like To Head-Butt" thread)... Most entertaining team??! Somebody's been watching a different tournament to me... They were pretty poor against England, rarely looked capable of scoring. After Rooney's sending-off, Portugal had an hour playing against 10 men, still didn't look capable of scoring and had to take advantage of a penalty shoot-out to achieve victory. So their keeper saves penalties. Big deal. They were poor penalties taken by tired players. In their following match against France both Ronaldo and Postiga made the most pathetic attempts at diving, utterly pathetic. It's generally known as "cheating": I know many players do it, but you know..... Sometimes players go down in search of a penalty when there has been "minimal contact". These two were shown quite clearly throwing themselves dramatically to the ground without having been touched at all. Who will shame them into improving their ways? Nobody, if the rewards continue to outweigh the potential losses, (eg, briefly looking a bit stupid). Offences like these (blatant cheating) should be yellow-carded retrospectively so that players will face suspensions. Let's face it, this behaviour is partly what makes the referee's job so difficult, and is a blight on "the beautiful game".

Portugal? Meh!

If you say it like this, then Italy didn't play very well either. It's because they have a extremely defensive strategy which was rather succesful (they only let two goals in the whole tournament). But in the last 16 against Australia they got the gift of a penalty shoot 10 seconds before time was up, but after 30 minutes of constantly standing in their own penalty area. And in both the Semi and in the Final they were lucky as for their great defense saved quite some very good chances.

And it's similar with France, who had their best match, by far, against a weak Brazilian team.

Come to think of it's sad that such defensive strategys are that succesful.

And about portugal there's also the point, that they were the "Underdogs" since the Quarters, maybe like Australia, but with more experience.

But where I absolutly agree with you, is the matter of "diving" or "Schwalben" as we call them. I really don't like it that at such an aggressive sport as football, where tackling and the like is the norm, that every player crashes to the ground after the smallest touch or the slightest pull of the trikot. But it's even worse when they when they want to cheat their way to a free kick or even demand a card for the opposing player (something we had quite often). I can't remember that in the Portugal-England match, but these offences are yellow carded, when they've obviously nothing to do with a foul (eg some Argentinian got one in the match against Germany).

I think it will get clearer when they introduce a TV survey for critical situations...