What were the 80s really like?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I hate from the 80s is that new romantic look... :stars: and all the bands sounding Spandau Ballet style. At least, in Europe, the 80s were the anti-hippy times... and all the boys with their hair dyed in flashy colours...

Oh, yes, and that electronic Simmons drums... :P

What I hate from the 80s is that new romantic look... :stars: and all the bands sounding Spandau Ballet style. At least, in Europe, the 80s were the anti-hippy times... and all the boys with their hair dyed in flashy colours...

Oh, yes, and that electronic Simmons drums... :P

As far as mainstream pop music goes, it seems like the early 80s where alot of synth/dance pop, then the mid 80s was corporate rock and hair metal, and the late 80s was hip hop/rap.

But are their any folks here who were fans of college rock radio in the 80s? The Replacements, REM, camper van beethoven, etc??? That;s the scene I'd really liek to hear about...

Edited by Guest

Are we not forgetting that the labels make it easy for us to buy the albums of the bands we want -- when nobody else will ? !? ( Give me corporate rock , man ! :thumbsup: :shades: )

I agree, you make the music, I make the money for both of us.

;)

As far as mainstream pop music goes, it seems like the early 80s where alot of synth/dance pop, then the mid 80s was corporate rock and hair metal, and the late 80s was hip hop/rap.

But are their any folks here who were fans of college rock radio in the 80s? The Replacements, REM, camper van beethoven, etc??? That;s the scene I'd really liek to hear about...

Why oh why won't you respond to any of my posts? :(

Thanks for asking, I'd like you to respond to:

As for your last paragraph, I wasn't portraying flippancy, I was portraying my disenchantment with your stupid opinions on corporate music. But whatever.

Anyways, if you are saying you have a distaste for mainstream since the 80's...that's fine I guess. Most of my favorite bands since the 80's are alternative as well. But if you are bashing all music since the 80's and calling it all "corporate rock" then you, good sir, are a fool.

And the one where I call you immature, please.

Thanks for asking, I'd like you to respond to:

And the one where I call you immature, please.

What's there to respond to? I'm not daying all music since the 80's is corporate Rock--that WOULD be idiotic. And I dont even know where you are coming up with that notion from? So my responses is: (--insert scoobie-doo impersonation here--)

ARrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnn???

Edited by Guest

imagine how much better the 80s would have been if Michael jackson had been assasinated instead of John Lennon...

AMEN TO THAT!

Because of that 1975-1980 break he took from music, he was NORMAL!

Also, another solution would be that John never met Yoko, the Beatles wouldn't've broke up, and John would've never released 'Imagine' which would've never gotten the person who assinated him (whose name ecscapes me at the moment)mad, and They'd still be together!(Until George died.)

R.I.P. John and George!!! :(

What's there to respond to? I'm not daying all music since the 80's is corporate Rock--that WOULD be idiotic. And I dont even know where you are coming up with that notion from? So my responses is: (--insert scoobie-doo impersonation here--)

ARrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnn???

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. :)

But I still think you're immature. ;)

Anyways, my final statement is that the most popular rock has always been corporate rock. Corporate rock's definition just happened to change in the 80's.

When the phrases "the 1980's" and "VH-1" collide, I recall a weekend segment on Jazz/New Age/Pop/Rock/Unclassifiable titled "New Visions" hosted by Steve Miller Band keyboardist, Ben Sidran. Back then, the MTV Networks still played music, and this studio show featured guest artists who played tunes/compositions between music videos. As I recall, a few who played: Dave Valentin, Hugh Masakela, The League of Crafty Guitarists, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Dave Grusin, Liz Story, Bill Bruford, etc. (I used to have these on SuperBeta HiFi tapes, but time, worn out VCRs, and termites did the collection in before I thought to transfer it to VHS.) Too bad MTV/VH-1 do everything else BUT music these days. :stars:

'Most Popular' doesnt eqaute to 'best'

But the term corporate rock came about from the arena rock and stadium rock of the 70s. Corporate Rock means rock that is on a major label that is beign touted in the mainstream magazines and on mainstream radio--mainly because a parent company also owns the radio stations, the magazines, the cable tv stations, etc where the band is being touted.