What were the 80s really like?

I've been watching I love the 80s on VH1, and I don't rememeber the 80's being anything like how they say it was.

I wonder why that is? Oh yea, because VH1 is retarded and thinks real life is just like how it was played on TV.

http://generation-add.blogspot.com/2012/10/who-killed-classic-rock.html

Edited by Guest

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take away the internet & fast-food bacteria, but cigerettes/beer was a lot cheaper w/o Bush's tax-hike, MTV actually played music videos, and people weren't all posh-snobbish as they thought they were.

The 80's was a ditch & a hit & run miss if I remember correctly, unfortunately the only thing on VH1's I love the 80's that was vaguely true for me was the incarnation of back-alley crackheads, so it's hard to remember much of it... just pretty bland...

I was 10-19 through the '80's. It was Reaganomics, big hair, scrunched down socks, acid washed jeans, the birth of MTV, the birth of designer jeans (high waisted and tapered ones at that), the birth of the space shuttle program, first woman in the Supreme Court, the Cold War, the USSR and Yugoslavia were united countries, Germany was divided, USA for Africa, Farm Aid....

But yes, I Love the '80's captures pop culture pretty neatly.

There would have been no "Thriller" then... :grin:

The eighties were such fun for me... all that mix in music: the last punks, neo-romantic, techno, new psychedelia, garage...

I still prefer sixties and seventies for music...

One needs only watch "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" to know what the 80s were like. They wrote that movie about my high school.

That along with The Outsiders & The Warriors...

don't bother with anything featuring Molly Ringwald, Corey Haim, or Michael Anthony Hall (16 candles, pretty in pink, etc.); those were the nerds back then. :P

And what's wrong with the corporate music industry? The Beatles were part of the corporate music industry.

They were the first & only plausible excuse to have come in from that unreliable market. All others thenafter were nothing but followers trying to push untalented material for the purpose of money making instead of a widespread audience.

Style over Substance.

I've been watching I love the 80s on VH1, and I don't rememeber the 80's being anything like how they say it was.

I wonder why that is? Oh yea, because VH1 is retarded and thinks real life is just like how it was played on TV.

Perhaps because the world does not rotate around you? Just a thought.

Everyone, during any particular day never mind a decade, has a different set of experiences and memories.

Did you expect VH1 to capture your specific viewpoint?

How inconsiderate of them not to. }:(

Edited by Guest

They were the first & only plausible excuse to have come in from that unreliable market. All others thenafter were nothing but followers trying to push untalented material for the purpose of money making instead of a widespread audience.

Style over Substance.

Right. There is very little comparison of the corporate music industry of 1964 to the one of today. The Bealtes didnt know what they were doing. They werent even 21 when Beatlemania started going wild. Plus they didnt have all of the examples of how the corporate music industry screwed over Rock musicians that artists of today have. Artists of today have no excuse for being ignorant of the evil of the corporate music industry.