The top acts from "Down Under"

Hey Aussie friends I am curious as to who you guys would consider the top 20 music acts from the Land of Oz,as OLD 55 might say, in the last 30 to 35 years. At one time I had a terrible "crush" on Olivia-Newton.

rtstuff

Hey Mate how about a vegamite sandwich?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's VegEmite and it's terrible ! Our kids liked it though. :)

I'm sure Katie will give you her opinions here.

We had a T.V. Special some months ago that counted down what the "experts" considered to be the greatest Aussie songs of all time. Friday On My Mind/ The Easybeats was #1, which is fair enough. My pick "Eagle Rock"/ Daddy Cool was #3. What was #2 again Katie ? Was it "Down Under" / Men At Work ?

Of course the English claim Olivia and The Bee Gees as theirs, because they were born there, but we reckon they're Aussies.

This is an intresting thread rt, and I'll contribute more later.

:)

We had a T.V. Special some months ago that counted down what the "experts" considered to be the greatest Aussie songs of all time. Friday On My Mind/ The Easybeats was #1, which is fair enough. My pick "Eagle Rock"/ Daddy Cool was #3. What was #2 again Katie ? Was it "Down Under" / Men At Work ?

Yes, I'm pretty sure "Down Under" was number 2 on the 20 to 1 countdown.

Allow me to list my top five favourite Australian artists/bands in order:

1. Cold Chisel :bow: - A great 70s/80s rock band that simply were no where near as popular overseas as they deserved to be.

2. Powderfinger - In my opinion, they are EASILY the best musical act in the world right now (judging on current material).

3. AC/DC

4. INXS

5. Jet - Sure, they have only released one album, but it is one of my favourite albums ever. Get Born is a simply fantastic album for any rock fans.

Others that deserve mention, in no particular order (I'm sure I'll forget some) :

John Farnham

The Easybeats

Pete Murray

Crowded House/Split Enz/Finn Brothers (if they can be considered Australian)

The Bee Gees (ditto)

Sherbet

Wolfmother

Men At Work

Daddy Cool

Mondo Rock

Okay, I've obviously forgotten heaps, but I'll come back to this later.

Edited by Guest

I am a bit of a musical puffball and a sucker for great harmonies. I've always thought Little River Band projects a very intriguing sound and have ALWAYS enjoyed singing along by finding a harmonizing note in their music somewhere. Plus, I think Glenn Shorrock (the band's lead singer until 1982) had one of the most distinctive and listenable voices in pop. Cool Change, Lady, Lonesome Loser were probably my favorite songs by the band.

Yes Steel, Glenn Shorrock is a real talent. His replacement in LRB, John Farnham, is more popular as a solo artist, but Glenn was associated with a number of great harmony Bands (notably The Twilights and Axiom) before LRB. He's one of our best ever.

Sorry to confuse you about 'Vegemite' rt. What I meant was it has an e not an a in the middle of the word. It's not Australian owned any more either. All of our icons are being sold off.

:P

it's so funny... my son was on the couch with me when the scene at the pep rally came on where he puts her down in front of his friends to look cool. I used it as a learning experience. "See? Don't ever be mean to a girl just to look cool in front of your friends!" :grin:

Our two daughters (now 35 and 31) just absolutely love Olivia. They were both a bit young when Grease came out, but they were mad about Xanadu. Olivia's Aussie accent does grate a bit it that one I think. Gee there's some terrific music from both of those Movies.

Grease is one of my favourites too.

I adore Vegemite and could live off it if I had to! It is an acquired taste though, and you probably have to have grown up on it to like it.

Now, best Aussie bands...I can give you more than 20 of my favourites easily!

Cold Chisel - They're my favourite Aussie band.

Skyhooks

Hoodoo Gurus

Australian Crawl

The Divinyls

The Angels

The Choirboys

The Screaming Jets

Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons

Mental As Anything

Daddy Cool

The Easybeats

Normie Rowe

Paul Kelly

Hunters & Collectors

Mondo Rock

The Living End

Powderfinger

Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs

The Radiators

Grinspoon

Killing Heidi

Dragon (are they classed as Aussie or Kiwi? I class Split Enz as Kiwis, but Crowded House as Aussie)

AC/DC

Little River Band

Australia has a great pub rock scene, and all of the bands I named up there ^^ are rock bands/singers.

Dragon (are they classed as Aussie or Kiwi)?

Originally NZ, but they came to Australia in 1975, and they did have some Australian members here (replacements for ones who left or died). The first I really heard of them was with "Get That Jive" in 1977, and then they had "April Sun In Cuba" later that year. Great Band !

Katie, our eldest daughter took vegemite sandwiches to school every day for 10 years ! My Wife just said that everyone in the Family likes it but me. I agree that it's an acquired taste (like beer). They're both extracted from yeast !

I'm shocked :o:o:o to find no mention of The Church in this thread, not even in Katie's list just now. Have they done something to offend??! They're a great band: hugely under-rated, (obviously)...

I have a stack of their albums, including the excellent "Of Skins And Heart", "The Blurred Crusade", "Starfish", "Priest=Aura", :bow: etc.

"The Unguarded Moment" is an all-time classic single. Well, it is in "Fitter-World", anyway...

Also, their "US College Radio Hit" of 1988, "Under The Milky Way" stakes a legitimate claim to be the only rock song to feature a synthesized bag-pipe solo. :crazy: (Unless anyone out there knows different?)

After 25 years, The Church are still going, and still producing music of the highest quality. I only wish their idea of a UK tour meant more than "one date, in London". :(