Airlines

Red Fish

I'll be flying to California in a year or two, and I know diddly squat about airlines and things like that (never been on a plane before). All I do know is that it's gonna get expensive, so I was wondering if anyone had some advice on like saving money on a flight.

I talked with a girl I know about this, and she mentioned something about a card, but she didn't know the specifics, so I'm about as uneducated on the subject as you can get. :P Thanks!

ummm... not sure how much help i've been, i've only been on a plane once, and it was a 20minute flight, but i'm going to spain soon which will be a LOT longer.

You can get airpoints cards, at least here you can, and the points add up to free flights, that's about all I know, my friend is trying to make me get one.

If you aren't particular about when you leave or when you get there (time wise), you can still fly standby I think. It's always cheaper. fine for the young, but us old folks don't like to wait around! I used to do it when I was your age.

You can get airpoints cards, at least here you can, and the points add up to free flights, that's about all I know, my friend is trying to make me get one.

Ah okay, that's probably what she was talking about. I'll have to look into those since I may be flying once or twice a year soon.

Before signing up with Orbitz, check out this link...

Why Orbitz Blows

Geez Lousie, that's ridiculous! O.O Thanks for pointing that out. I would've definitely been looking at more than just Travelocity's prices when it was close to time, so I might've gotten into the same situation.

If you aren't particular about when you leave or when you get there (time wise), you can still fly standby I think. It's always cheaper. fine for the young, but us old folks don't like to wait around! I used to do it when I was your age.

Yeah, I'll just need to be there when church camp starts, and if I catch an early flight, I can stay at a hotel until it does.

Err... standby is where you wait for someone to miss their flight and then you buy their seat, right? :P

Basically yes. Or an underbooked flight. You never know until just before the flight leaves. I think nowadays different airlines may have different rules. Check the individual airline websites. Look at the late night flight times. They are usually the least heavily booked. It's also cheaper if you don't take a direct flight (although from TX to CA that may be all they have).

Edited by Guest

That's the trick - take a non-restrictive bag on board with you with a magazine or book, some facial spray or face wipes (your skin gets very dehydrated on flights), some water in a plastic bottle, hand cream and some sweets or gum, a hairbrush and some lip gloss - so you have a pleasant flight and before you land you can freshen up and feel better. Also if your flight is delayed or you miss a connection, you are not stranded looking and feeling awful at the airport :)

As for saving on flights, the best is to join the airline's loyalty club, to get a good seat - get there early or book in online, and look out for the non-peak flights like the redeye or not around the main meal times. Also don't accept the first quote from the first airline, sometimes a short detour or crossover flight saves you money (if you have the time that is), or book in advance and save.

Trust me, I've been on a plane 14 times in the last 12 months alone (we travel quite a lot for work and back home), so you get wise about airlines ;)

I must mug up the first paragraph of your post... let's see bag... non-restrictive... that'll be my college bag, in it I will keep magazine/book, iPod (must charge), nail polish (I was painting my nails while waiting for the plane last time), gum, lip balm.... maybe gloss and if I'm feeling stylish I might throw in some kohl. A comb, yes. Assorted hair thingies. And I want astringent and some soap or cleanser with me for freshening up when I land. Oh yes and water... I'll keep the airhostess busy. Cathay Pacific has really good in flight entertainment, with one 'radio' station/channel playing nice songs. I will plug myself into that. And I will also trouble the airhostess for peanuts.

When I came back from Lucknow to Delhi by train, I remember befriending my co-passenger. I hope I have someone nice sitting next to me. I also hope I have leg room.

All I need in a plane is a box of Ambien and a walkman. I let the gods do the rest and ask someone to wake me up as soon as we landed safe and sound. I´ve been on flights that last 13 hours as well as 30 minutes and it´s always the same, I wish I could go by train... :stars:

That's the trick - take a non-restrictive bag on board with you with a magazine or book, some facial spray or face wipes (your skin gets very dehydrated on flights), some water in a plastic bottle, hand cream and some sweets or gum, a hairbrush and some lip gloss - so you have a pleasant flight and before you land you can freshen up and feel better. Also if your flight is delayed or you miss a connection, you are not stranded looking and feeling awful at the airport :)

Good advice, I have a reason for buying lipstick now.

... and issues of Cosmo. :P

Last time I went on a flight at LAX to Sky-Harbor[PHX] I was wearing a black trenchcoat, unshaven, & didn't tie my long black hair into a pony tail. The front counter staff assumed I was a terrorist / smuggler & they checked all my luggage in front of everyone at the cabin. Then when I finally boarded, I had to assume the standard full body search position, while they searched me for weapons / drugs, before getting on the plane. It was embarrassing & I was pretty p*ssed off at the airline for discriminating against me for it.

The moral of this story is: never trust the airport

Last time I went on a flight at LAX to Sky-Harbor[PHX]

The moral of this story is: never trust the airport

The best line of wisdom in the thread.

I will say...my grandson age 7, has been flying monthly since the age of 5, alone. We've never once had a problem, frightened as I was about the whole thing, and if you let them know you are a "flight virgin" use that lovely personality on the attendants, and say "aww shucks mam" a lot, you'll have no problem!! :)