Is it just me or is techno/dance music the.....

Jillianne

....most annoying thing you ave every heared, The beat drones on for about 10mins and never changes and most of the time that "singer" sounds like shes swinging a bag of bloody ginger cats around! My friend happens to love this "music" (if you can even call it that) and now she has this song stuck in my head by "special d" called "come with me"

I shall give you a taste of how mindlessy(sp?) the lyrics are written....

At the end of every week

Each one of us becomes a freak

Tonight the DJ makes us move

Until the sweat drops from the roof

It´s time to let the base beat hard

Now we launch the louder part

Just activate your energy

Let´s sing this song an´ come with me.

The speakersystem brings the sound

And light effects are spinnin´round

All the people on the floor

They shake their bodies and cry for more

Never let this feeling go

And let the musik take control

Forget your problems and feel free

Enjoy this moment come with me

Goodness gracious whats this world coming to eh?

haha, its funny that you would mention it b/c me and my friends always make fun of it! One of my teachers is completly obessed with it. All the guys will do a beat, then they get someone singing horribly and they are always something incredibly stupid like "the system is down" ahhh its sooooo funny, we all just die from laughter :elvis:

....most annoying thing you ave every heared, The beat drones on for about 10mins and never changes and most of the time that "singer" sounds like shes swinging a bag of bloody ginger cats around! My friend happens to love this "music" (if you can even call it that) and now she has this song stuck in my head by "special d" called "come with me"

I shall give you a taste of how mindlessy(sp?) the lyrics are written....

At the end of every week

Each one of us becomes a freak

Tonight the DJ makes us move

Until the sweat drops from the roof

It´s time to let the base beat hard

Now we launch the louder part

Just activate your energy

Let´s sing this song an´ come with me.

The speakersystem brings the sound

And light effects are spinnin´round

All the people on the floor

They shake their bodies and cry for more

Never let this feeling go

And let the musik take control

Forget your problems and feel free

Enjoy this moment come with me

Goodness gracious whats this world coming to eh?

It all makes more sense when your tripping on speed and meth, i suppose.

Gillian - My daughters boyfriend is from Liverpool, so I think you should be able to find it. We live in Missouri in the US. She had never heard of techno till he introduced her to it. The thing is she used to have good taste in music. It's very different to say the least. What's really bad is these "groups" like to cover really good classic rock songs and totally decimate them. Oh well, each to his own! Check it out for yourself. ::

I always pictured some saviors of techno, they would rate to Rock and Roll as the following:

Chem Brothers - Zeppelin

Orb - Pink Floyd

Orbital - Beatles

Fatboy Slim - Zappa

Kraftwerk - Hendrix

Art of Noise - Moody Blues

(old) Prodigy - Van Halen

Aphex Twin - Sabbath

Meat Beat Manifesto - David Bowie

Hope I'm no too far off....

I like the rock analogies.

When I think of Techno, I think of groups like New Order and Depeche Mode. They have real talent and really craft their songs. Check out "Bizarre Love Triange" and "Personal Jesus." They're both really beautiful songs that were successfully covered in stripped-down versions (Frente and Johnny Cash, respectively). "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas is another excellent Techno song.

The repetitive stuff is really awful. It's kind of like Paris Hilton - fun for a little while, but more annoying the longer it goes on.

Yeah, Depeche Mode has some talent, especially their innovative performances on Black Celebration & Music for the Masses, same thing with New Order, they created a sound that was yet unidentifiable with their earlier work, the best albums (IMO) are Low-Life & Brotherhood.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, but I think the original poster meant stuff that would be labeled as Trance, Rave, Acid House, and Hardcore Techno (hehe AMG is choke-full of these terms). NewOrder and DeMode are a little too... slow and dancey (?), definitely less repetitive than the stuff that's played at clubs. This sort of music is part of the mood of the place, the people, and the drugs of choice. Think of Lounge and Jazz music being played at the fancy places where you get to wear a suit or a cocktail dress - it adds to the "classy" mood of the setting and the people. Unlike Lounge and Jazz, though, you can't really listen to Techno music outside of that time and place.

Basically, the music on its own is rubbish. However...at the right club with the right crowd and the right drugs it can be awesome. I discovered how awesome it can be with these other ingredients in 1991 at a couple of gay clubs in London, and then I kept on checking it out nearly every weekend until 1995. Then my boss wanted me to do some serious work overseas, so I stopped. I managed to get off the merry-go-round with my brain intact, inspite of downing a cocktail of ecstacy, speed, acid and coke (and the occassional spliff)! However, not everybody handled the drugs as well as I did and one or two of my friends became seriously f*cked up. Just say "no" to drugs...then you don't really have to listen to this crappy music! [Don't do as I did; do as I say!]

Funny this thread should exist. I just got back from band camp this afternoon after a week. A kid in our cabin decided to bring his stereo and music collection this year. Techno. Nothing else. All day, from 8 in the morning to 1 in the morning. Loud. Over and over again. My God, it was horrible. Just when we would get into free time and start to settle down, on the Techno would come. He had the bass turned up so loud it was shaking the cabin; and he stupidly put his speaker cabinet face up next to the shelf with his giant bottle of shampoo, so the vibrations would knock the shampoo off of the shelf and onto the speaker. It busted the head. But did that stop him? Of course not. Man, I do not see how anyone could enjoy techno.

I agree the music lacks an element of lets say artistic originaltiy considering its extremely repetive and follows a formula. But before I make it sound as though I totally disrespect it, I must say that you really need to get in the scene for at least one night. The music can really capture you and give you this feeling of futuristic hypnosis. Of course this is much easier felt if you do a couple tabs of X, or not even that. This may sound childish but if you just take some kind of cough suppressant that has dextrometmorphan in it then you would still feel that robotrip sensation. But don't take CCCs, I've known people who've overdosed on that and theres nothing more embarrassing than being in the hospital because you've overdosed on cough medicine.

• 9 months later...

**** BUMP!****

I have to admit, I am quite a vocal trance/trance/techno/house/triphop/dance fan! And I have never touched pills in my life! I live on www.di.fm or www.sputnik.de every day! Yes, I love rock and metal, but dance just makes me feel all bouncy woo woo happy happy and really gets me smiling and laughing! I can't believe the difference it makes when I listen to metal vs dance!

Not everyone's cup of tea, but there are definitely some very sweet, love related lyrics and the vocalists usually have very good voices and the beat is great! Now I'm not talking about gabba here, just standard dance/housey stuff :coolio:

I'm not really fussed what people think of me because of the music I like, but if they knew how much happier I feel when listening to dance - they'd be wanting in on that happy vibe too! ::

i agree with sue! some dance, techno suff can be great, especially in the club with some fun people, and i to have never touched a pill (except that time my drink was spiked which doesn't count!!). and i really love some dance music - massive attack, basement jaxx, the chemical brothers, mylo, fatboy slim..... fun!!!!!!!

Hahaha. Two reasons why I'd put up with listening to Trance. On my own? It goes in the rubbish bin and back to my Lounge Muzak :beatnik:

Trance and Techno is what happens when you take human energy and artistry, sample it, process it, automate it, and finally strip music of all human emotion. If at one time I thought "elevator" music was bad, Techno is ten times worse. Think of it this way, George Lucas has done the same thing with movies. He has replaced people and real settings with a green backdrop. The end product is boring at best.

Jillian, yes techno is annoying...My daughter had it on in the car the other day. I asked what the heck are we listening to, she said It's techno music...I told her I think this is more annoying than rap...she said really, you would choose rap over this?.....I told her well no, i wouldnt choose either one!

OMG Laurie. I think you've just unwittingly invented Techno-Rap. God save us!!

Believe it or not THAT already exists. I went to a club a couple of weeks ago that had live acts where one of the dudes was doing Techno-Rap. Surprisingly, it was the Rap part which has holding my attention as that was the only thing giving his show the raw energy needed to get the kids onto the dance floor for break dancing :happybanana: