The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 14

1. I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better - The Byrds

2. Green Onions - Booker T And The MGs

3. Because The Night - Patti Smith ( honorable mention to the 10,000 Maniacs version )

4. Needles and Pins - The Searchers

5. Room To Move - John Mayall

6. At Last - Etta James

7. Walk Away - James Gang

8. Tempted - Squeeze

9. Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran ( and the classic re-interpretation by Blue Cheer )

10. Devil With A Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, a great list of songs from which to choose.

1. Who'll Stop The Rain - My favourite tune by one of my favourite bands.

2. Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) - The Hollies. Great vocals and an infectious, hard- driving beat.

3. Needles & Pins - The Searchers. One of my favourite songs of the 60's.

4. Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils

5. Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor) - Robert Palmer.

6. You're No Good - Linda Ronstadt. IMO, a very underrated performer. She churned out hit after hit in the mid to late 1970's and what a set of pipes!!

7. Love Is Blue - Paul Mauriat & His Orchestra. A beautiful instrumental.

8. Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell. SMOOOOOTH!!

9. Dancing In The Dark - Bruce Springsteen

10. If You Leave Me Now - Chicago

During the last few rounds, I've had fun trying to anticipate what songs various Songfactors will pick from the list of nominations. To date, I've enjoyed a better than 50 percent success rate with 3 Songfactors and failed miserably with 5 others. As a result, I'm starting to get a good idea whose musical tastes are similar to my own and whose are quite different. It's not at all scientific, but it sure is fun!

:):)

I think this list has exposed my youth and inexperience - most people are saying what a tough field this is, but I haven't heard of most of the other songs that have been nominated.

C s, it's also that a large proportion of these songs/artists just weren't popular here in Australia. Some on the list wouldn't gave gotten any or, at best, minimal airplay here. I did make a point of chasing up ones I didn't know, but you probably have to hear them a few times to appreciate them. The biggest Hit in Australia from that list was Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now", which topped our Chart for 9 weeks in 1976. That's a bit before your time too, but it's well worth a listen.

:P

This is a tough one:

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Beatles

2. The Kids Are Alright - The Who

3. You're Beautiful - James Blunt

4. Sister Disco - The Who

5. Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix

6. November Rain - Guns N' Roses

7. Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress) - The Hollies

8. I Know You're Out There Somewhere - The Moody Blues

9. All Shook Up - Elvis Presley

10. Devil With A Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

Can't wait for the next nominations. I have a list.

1. Nothing But A Good Time - Poison

2. Too Much Time On My Hands - Styx

3. Living After Midnight - Judas Priest

4. More Than A Feeling - Boston

5. Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) - The Hollies

6. Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin

7. L.A. Woman - The Doors

8. Break On Through - The Doors

9. Walk Away - The James Gang

10. I Know You're Out There Somewhere - The Moody Blues

You probably didn't notice, but I actually put "If You Leave Me Now" at No. 10 on my list. My parents have Chicago's Greatest Hits, so whenever one of their songs gets nominated, I'll have a listen to it. Try nominating "Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry". Maybe I'll nominate it sometime. I also like "25 or 6 to 4", but of course that has made the top ten already.

Edited by Guest
Semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower

Sorry c s, I didn't notice that. I had to go out for a few hours this morning and I just had a quick look through last night's posts before I left. Your parents have great taste !

Hard To Say I'm Sorry and Saturday In The Park are a couple of others I have on my Lista (list a ones I'm gonna nominate someday if I live long enough or if somebody doesn't nominate them before me).

I see TallOne's started a Lista too !

:)

Back again, even though I see I was still logged in. :)

I'm off again now - will tally up the points later.

Steel Magnolia, Kevin - if he has his computer (and any other regulars who missed nominating) are yet to vote. Catch you later !

Well I've just spent the last few hours trying to balance the Points. I made mistakes everywhere except in the additions. I won't try to do 27 at once again. My Darling Wife came in when she heard me cursing in my office, and with her help, we found my errors in about 30 minutes.

When Kelly and Kevin if he's around (+ any regulars who didn't nominate) vote, I'll give you our Top Ten - when I get up of course. Goodnight All !

1. More Than A Feeling - Boston

2. Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne

3. If You Leave Me Now - Chicago

4. Who'll Stop The Rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival

5. At Last - Etta James

6. Devil With A Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly (Medley) -

Mitch Ryder And The Detroit Wheels

7. Lights - Journey

8. Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) - The Hollies

9. Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

10.Because The Night - The Patti Smith Group

O.K. I won't keep you in suspense any further. Kevin didn't think he'd be able to vote this time, so we'll call it quits now. Here's our Top Ten !

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten #14 For Period Ending 10th June 2006

1. WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL

2. VOODOO CHILD (SLIGHT RETURN) - JIMI HENDRIX

3. WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS - THE BEATLES

4. AT LAST - ETTA JAMES

5. NEEDLES AND PINS - THE SEARCHERS

6. LONG COOL WOMAN (IN A BLACK DRESS) - THE HOLLIES

7. NOVEMBER RAIN - GUNS N' ROSES

8. GREEN ONIONS - BOOKER T. & THE MGs

9. DANCING IN THE DARK - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

10.BREAK ON THROUGH - THE DOORS

Well, there's a stunned silence ! steel magnolia's vote changed the order a bit, but not the Ten. It was very close between the top 3 songs. I'll print out the whole list of nominations with points later. Also it's great to see our first Instrumental in there (good nomination bazooka) + an 80s and a 90s song. Thanks to all who nominated and voted !

I'm off to have Breakfast. It's a cold Saturday morning here. The westerly winds have arrived, which heralds the start of our Winter. Catch you later.

All right, Shawna, you twisted my rubber arm. Based on my exhaustive :/ research, I have determined that Phil, rtstuff and Katie Sane apparently like a lot of the music I do, or I like a lot of the same music that they do. Whichever you prefer.

I was moderately successful in guessing which songs they would pick from the list of nominations during the last few rounds of voting. I also like a lot of the songs you have nominated and voted for.

I also selected several other Songfactors at random and tried to guess which songs they would select from the list of nominations. I failed miserably with Uncle Joe, Old 55 and Cee Cee Rider. I guess Kreskin and Cris Angel have nothing to fear from me.

I'm going to continue with my little experiment, unscientific though it is. It's kind of silly, but I have a lot of fun with it. You know what they say...simple things amuse simple people! :)

I'm really pumped too! It took me 14 rounds, but I finally nominated a song that made number #1 and for the first time, both of my nominations made it into the top 10. Even though that is not why I select the songs I do, it is still gratifying to find out that other people like some of the songs I do.

Well dome CanAm. I didn't realise you nominated both Who'll Stop The Rain and Long Cool Woman. You can thank steelmagnolia (and the rest of us who voted for it) :grin: that CCR got to #1. When I went to bed last night it was third. I'll post a list of all nominations and their points soon so we can see just how close things were.

With the "profiling", I haven't actually checked to see whom I'm 'compatible' with (sounds like a dating service), but I would think it's probably Judo, rtstuff and Dappled. You and I voted for 7 the same this time also !

HERE'S ALL THE NOMINATIONS AND POINTS GAINED. :headphones:

Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell 20

Alison - Elvis Costello 10

All Shook Up - Elvis Presley 30

Angry Young Man - Billy Joel 14

At Last - Etta James 64

Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor,Doctor) - Robert Palmer 18

Because The Night - The Patti Smith Group 33

Break On Through - The Doors 40

Breathe (2 A.M.) - Anna Nalick 17

But Not for Me - Chet Baker 9

Chevy Van - Sammy Johns 6

Dancing In The Dark - Bruce Springsteen 40

Day Of The Eagle - Robin Trower 9

Devil With A Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly (Medley) -

Mitch Ryder And The Detroit Wheels 28

Diamond Dogs - David Bowie 8

Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne 28

Give It Away - Red Hot Chili Peppers 39

Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin 36

Green Onions - Booker T. & The MGs 41

I Hear You Knockin' - Dave Edmunds 24

I Know You're Out There Somewhere - The Moody Blues 12

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better - The Byrds 27

If You Leave Me Now - Chicago 27

In Excelsis Deo: Gloria - Patti Smith 8

Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils 28

Kids Are Alright, The - The Who 30

L.A. Woman - The Doors 39

Land Of Confusion - Genesis 3

Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters 29

Lights - Journey 21

Living After Midnight - Judas Priest 11

Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) - The Hollies 53

Love Is Blue - Paul Mauriat and His Orchestra 26

Love Is Strange - Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton 10

More Than A Feeling - Boston 22

Needles And Pins - The Searchers 60

No Rain - Blind Melon 34

Nothing But A Good Time - Poison 10

November Rain - Guns N' Roses 42

Passive - A Perfect Circle 4

Pickin' Up The Pieces - Poco 21

Promises - Eric Clapton 7

Redemption Song - Bob Marley 28

Room To Move - John Mayall 28

Sister Disco - The Who 7

Smoke From A Distant Fire - The Sanford/Townsend Band 13

Summertime - Ella Fitzgerald 20

Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran 38

Tempted - Squeeze 39

Theme For An Imaginary Western - Mountain 29

Too Much Time On My Hands - Styx 9

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix 74

Walk Away - The James Gang 20

When You're Short Of A Quid - Slim Dusty 9

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles 72

Who'll Stop The Rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival 76

You're Beautiful - James Blunt 8

You're No Good - Linda Ronstadt 32

:guitar:

As a result, I'm starting to get a good idea whose musical tastes are similar to my own and whose are quite different.

I also selected several other Songfactors at random and tried to guess which songs they would select from the list of nominations. I failed miserably with Uncle Joe, Old 55 and Cee Cee Rider. I guess Kreskin and Cris Angel have nothing to fear from me.

I'm going to continue with my little experiment, unscientific though it is. It's kind of silly, but I have a lot of fun with it. You know what they say...simple things amuse simple people! :)

Can Am, I do somewhat the same things, but not in as involved a fashion as you. As for myself, and my tastes, I am all over the place a far as genre and particular song. Many times a band I love is nominated, but since this thread is for songs I only vote for the song. Your nominations often get my attention...but for band possibly, not songs. The same is true for Bluesy, Bazooka, Old 55, Dappled, phil, Shawna and edna. It is fun to track these things, and I may make more of a habit of it.