"-" over "~"

I actually remember when there was a lot more of this "-" than this "~". It's convienient for me, being just above my tab key also. But the real reason is it's prettier! Silly. It's also become an unbreakable habit. I've tried.

You're right it is prettier, but i have to use the shift button and stretch my little finger out to do it, and that's just too much hard work for me, which is why i use the -.

until this conversation i had no idea that every little symbol had a name.

I HAVE IT!

In mathematical situations, the tilde (~) is used to convert between two systems of measurement (ie: 6 tons ~ ? kilograms)

The tilde is used to compare.

So, actually, it is grammatically correct to use the tilde in Comfortably Numb ~ Pink Floyd or any situation like it.

:confused: :confused: :confused: So, actually, it is grammatically INcorrect to use the tilde in Comfortably Numb ~ Pink Floyd or any situation like it....

I can't believe I missed this thread when this question is of such great significance to me!

I use - over ~ because it's much easier. And makes more sense. I have to do shift + ` and then I get ~. But a single keystroke yields a -. Apart from that, the hyphen is much more accessible being more conveniently located near important keys like the Enter and Backspace. How often do I venture near the Tab anyway? And like I said, it's grammatically correct, but that's the least of my problems with the ~.

Whilst it is always gratifying to be involved in a cutting-edge debate about the issues that really matter, I can't help wondering whether, due to its non-musical theme, this thread ought to be located in the "Random Thoughts" forum.

Or, even better...in a specially-created "Evidence That This Site Is A Magnet For Weirdo Misfits With Empty Lives" forum...

• 2 weeks later...

Did someone mention a :happybanana: ? I love the :happybanana: !

Nope sorry Edna, "eßen" doesn't exist.

But it is "ich esse"(present tense) and "ich aß" (past tense)

but you can say e.g. "Fußball" or "Fussball"

I don't actually know all the rules when a "ß" is applied, German grammar is pretty complicated :crazy:

My brother is OBSESSED with Prussia during the & Years War, and he says That Prussia in German is Prußia.

(I had to copy that thingy from edna's post, don't have one here in th U.S.!)

Oh, by the way Farin: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Edited by Guest

My brother is OBSESSED with Prussia during the & Years War, and he says That Prussia in German is Prußia.

(I had to copy that thingy from edna's post, don't have one here in th U.S.!)

Oh, by the way Farin: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Actually it's "Preußen" in German.

What kind of war? The Seven Year War? That was kinda long ago, wasn't it?