"-" over "~"

Why is it when naming a song and artist one person would type "Great Gig In the Sky~ Pink Floyd" while another would go "Great Gig In the Sky-Pink Floyd." Stupid, yes, but I'm curious. I know I type "-" because most use the other and I'm sticking it to the man. How about you?

Normally I use the "~". I don't think there is an actual reason for this, besides that it looks more interesting than a "-", imho. Sorry to all the grammatic teachers... :)

btw I too have no idea what the "~" is called. in German it's called Tilde... :)

I never use that sign (where is it???) and I just realised it´s not even in my keyboard... We don´t use it in French and in Spanish it´s just good for the "ñ" (which could be written "gn" as in Italian or in French).

I don´t even find the German double s which is a Beta (I´ll have to take some time to study my keyboard...)

I don´t even find the German double s which is a Beta (I´ll have to take some time to study my keyboard...)

Just a little correction: the "ß" is indeed like 'ss'. It's called "Eszett" (s-z) or "sharp S" and is pronounced like a normal english 's' and maybe like the french 'ç'.

Besides the similarity in the look to the letter Beta 'β', it has nothing to do with it...

:)

Just a little correction: the "ß" is indeed like 'ss'. It's called "Eszett" (s-z) or "sharp S" and is pronounced like a normal english 's' and maybe like the french 'ç'.

Besides the similarity in the look to the letter Beta '?', it has nothing to do with it...

:)

I know it´s a "ss", Farin... and that it has nothing to do with a Beta... I just cannot find it in my keyboard... ;)

I never use that sign (where is it???) and I just realised it´s not even in my keyboard... We don´t use it in French and in Spanish it´s just good for the "ñ" (which could be written "gn" as in Italian or in French).

The "~" is right above tab on my keyboard

ß ß ß ß ß ß

I found it! :happybanana:

I always found it funny that you can write "essen" oder "eßen", am I right?

Did someone mention a :happybanana: ? I love the :happybanana: !

Nope sorry Edna, "eßen" doesn't exist.

But it is "ich esse"(present tense) and "ich aß" (past tense)

but you can say e.g. "Fußball" or "Fussball"

I don't actually know all the rules when a "ß" is applied, German grammar is pretty complicated :crazy: