Is Styx Real Rock?

Does it really matter? You either like them or you don't, as with any music. Like Ron says the early stuff rocked. The later stuff, eh. I'm pretty much a don't, but not because I worry if they are real rock or not.

Anyway I think if they can make a Rock Opera out of Billy Joel or Abba, then they should be able to do one out of Styx songs.

don't know that I'd qualify anything ABBA did as "rock" - including a "rock opera" - which, in fact, it is not. "Mamma Mia!" is a musical using ABBA's music... a "rock opera" has no spoken lines - it is all music and singing: Jesus Christ Superstar, Tommy, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, only their true teamwork material comes within the lines of Rock.

Renegade

Blue Collar Man :thumbsup: ~ prime examples of their killer in-tune stuff. Shaw was IMO the highlite & soul of this band.

Babe

Come, Sail Away

Too Much Time on my Hands :thumbsdown: ~ this is where they started to slip in between the cracks & got stuck in between selling-out, mellowing-out just a tad, & flat out running out of ideas. The original fire that sparked them, was simmering down.

Mr Roboto

Kilroy was Here :googly: ~ the 80's had taken it's toll & showcased them as being Queen knock~offs. Dennis DeYoung (sp?) gained too much control over the band's direction & landed them right into the gutter.