Why do we listen to CDs instead of record albums?

Why do we use the internet and not the Pony Express. Is it a conspiracy, or would the horses just make a mess on my living room rug? And where would the driver sleep?

Edited by Guest
I f---ed up. Are you happy now!

Do you feel old if I say I've never in my life, had an 8-track in my hands?

They were not so popular in Europe... we had radio and then cassettes... an ex boyfriend of mine had some of them in the car by the mid seventies, but that´s all I recall... about the 8-tracks, I mean... :shades: And I´m twice and a half older than you, Farin...

;)

Mr. PEW, I still listen to records, you know? I have some 2000 left and they´re in good shape. Young people can´t buy records because they don´t make it anymore so they listen to cds. And not-so-young people had to buy their old stuff in cd (I did too with many of my records) cause most of the records are in pretty bad shape after 30 or 40 years...

they still make records you know. i have many friends who buy records, and you don't even have to go to some special shop to buy them, they sell them in the high street. and if you go to a used record store you can buy the oldies on vinyl.

my mp3 player fits in my pocket, can't really say that aout a turntable!

I didn't say, that I didn't know what it is, or that I never saw one. It's just that I never felt the need to deal with it. My musical "career" began with MCs but quickly turned to CDs and nowadays more and more mp3.

Edna I think your right, they weren't that popular, my parents and older relatives have a bunch of records, but no 8-tracks.

And Rachel is also right. In the last years records had a big comeback. Very often artists don't release their albums just on CD, but also on records...

they still make records you know. i have many friends who buy records, and you don't even have to go to some special shop to buy them, they sell them in the high street. and if you go to a used record store you can buy the oldies on vinyl.

Oh, sure they still make records... but very little, and they´re not part of the industry really. The releases and the music that charts -except for the dj´s records- are on cd.

I also get some vinyls in the used records stores...

I only buy CD's so I can listen to the artists that I love since there are very few albums released in this day and age. I still have all of my albums and listen to them also, and love the sound of them more than my CD's. I do not believe it is a conspiracy. Just the way the world is changing. But I will not own and MP3 player or and iPOD, that is just too much!!

its so convenient though. i love my cds, and i dont think i will switch to bying music online instead of cds. however, i can take most of my cds with me in my ipod, wherever i go, and listen to whatever i feel like. especially good when i am on holiday! i used to carry cds when i went back home, but now i only carry my ipod and plug into my hi fi!

Technical mumbo jumbo apart, we must move with the times. CDs are a clear winner over Vinyls. With the advent of the MP3 format, the portable hard drive is gaining an edge over the discman. For most parties here in the Middle East, a PC is an integral part of the DJ's Sound Equipment.

Having said that I still miss looking at the Album/CD cover pictures of the artist and the song details while listening to good music.

But I will not own and MP3 player or and iPOD, that is just too much!!

I thought the same and the other day my 14 years old nephew gave his old mp3 cause he has a couple of mp4 now. I still prefer a walkman, as you just have to change the tapes and I have lots of music in tapes... but it´s not bad! :cool: